New Home Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HessenHelles

Reaction score
Hello,

First off, I would like to thank everyone on this website. I have been interested in home brewing for years, and i have read many many threads on this site over the last three years.

Anyway, I started brewing my first beer one week ago today. I started with an easy one, its a American light 20 minute boil kit.

Hopefully it goes well, because I look forward to many more!!!!

Thank you

10 days into my first brew.

ForumRunner_20130130_191309.png

Tasted for the first time, and I was quite happy, still smiling actually. I did have some problems getting the stopper to stay in place, but i got it in there.

Anyway, I have a question. After i cleaned up, I opened the closet to take a peek at my brew, and i noticed my airlock was bubbling. 1 every 37 seconds. I checked gravity on Sunday, and today before I started, and it was the same.

Should I see bubbles in the airlock on my secondary? Or am I just being paranoid?

ForumRunner_20130130_192641.jpg

Your OK, the bubbles your seeing are the yeast cleaning up after you woke them up during racking. Or just Co2 coming out of suspension after racking.

Your OK, the bubbles your seeing are the yeast cleaning up after you woke them up during racking. Or just Co2 coming out of suspension after racking.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that I would bottle two Sundays from now. That's 18 days in the secondary, after 10 days in the primary.

Do you think that would be to soon to bottle?

Four weeks is good, bottle away. And congratulations on being patient, this is the most difficult thing for many of us when starting out.

Less complex beers rarely take any more then 2 weeks in the secondary. You are on the right track. That kit ages quite well in the bottle so if you like the taste in a month you'll love it in 3.

Not sure what to do.....

This brew has been in the secondary for 14 days now, and I still have airlock activity, one about every 50 to 60 seconds. I can see tiny bubbles coming up inside of the carboy. This brew never really cleared either, still a little cloudy, and I'm not sure if it should be. My plan was to bottle on Sunday, but the last thing I want is to have bottle bombs. Should I wait untill the tiny bubble stop before bottling? This Sunday would be 4 weeks.

ForumRunner_20130213_183244.jpg

Take gravity readings 3 days in a row. If the readings are the same those 3 days, you are OK to bottle.

1-27. 1.011 primary
1-30. 1.011 racked to secondary
2-13. 1.011 I will take a reading on Sunday and I think it will be the same, and bottle away........

Thanks for the help.

1-27. 1.011 primary
1-30. 1.011 racked to secondary
2-13. 1.011 I will take a reading on Sunday and I think it will be the same, and bottle away........

Thanks for the help.

I guess I should have added "as long as you are near your expected FG". If you were at say, 1.025 for three days in a row, then that would probably indicate that it was stuck.

Gravity didn't change, so I bottled. Got 51 bottles. Going to be hard to wait 2 weeks to try this one!

I will try one in 2 weeks. But I'm going to try a leave it for at least 3-4. I'll just fill the fridge with good beer, so I can leave it be.

Back