New and eager to learn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikesBrau

Reaction score
I recently relocated from Oregon to the San Fernando Valley in California. During my time in Oregon, I developed a love for real beer. Prior to my time in Oregon I drank the mass market swill that has since become nothing more, in my eyes, than urine. I got to enjoy, firsthand, microbrews such as Rogue, Deschutes, Calapooia, Hop Valley and BY FAR MY FAVORITE NINKASI. I have been saying for years that home brewing is on my bucket list. Someone got me a Mr. Beer brew kit for Christmas. I realized right away that this designed as a low end intro to brewing. I will run a couple of batches with Mr. Brew but am already searching for and pricing higher quality brew materials. I have researched methods to tweek the Mr. Beer recipes by adding hopsto the boil or dry hopping. One day I hope to be able to duplicate or come close to such fine brews as Ninkasis Tricerahops or Oatis Stout or some of the other fine beers I have come to love. If anyone has any input or could point me in the right direction for equipment and supplies that would be much appreciated.
:mug:Cheers:mug:

I love Deschutes! Im from Oklahoma and no one there knows what beer is about. I didnt learn till I moved to Wyoming 4 1/2 yrs ago. All the good beers are from the north west! Montana and Colorado have some good ones too!

Living in Oregon opened my eyes to alot of things on many levels. The beer was so much better than anything I had ever tasted. Everything else is just urine... LOL I still have ties up there and plan on visiting the Eugene area at least once a year. NINKASI!!:mug:

Yeah, move back to Oregon. We got all the good stuff up here!

Indeed we do!

I bottled my tricerahops clone about 4 weeks ago, and its super tasty, but it needs a bit more time for carbonation. It has a really nice floral aroma, and super hoppy flavor, but it doesn't taste overly bitter. Its an extract recipe so its good for beginners. It was my 5th brew and it turned out wonderful. Let me know if you want the recipe.

welcome to the only hobby that matters now.

once you achieve your clone, you will be looking to perfect your own recipes.

enjoy.

p.s. get some corny kegs

Appreciate the clone offer, but I'm not a huge Ninkasi fan. I like Sleigh'r and Oatis, but my IPA tastes run more towards Deschutes and Lagunitas. Now if you had a decent Racer 5 clone, we could talk.

Appreciate the clone offer, but I'm not a huge Ninkasi fan. I like Sleigh'r and Oatis, but my IPA tastes run more towards Deschutes and Lagunitas. Now if you had a decent Racer 5 clone, we could talk.

Haha! I meant for that part to be for the OP. Sorry for the confusion.

So I did a taste comparison from Ninkasi to mine and they are pretty different, both in flavor and color. I talked to the guy at the brewstore that I got this recipe from and he doesn't think its that close of a clone either. Dont worry though because I still think its a damn good double IPA. I even think that I like it better than the T-hops.

If you brew it let me know what you think of it.

The only thing I didn't do was put the corn syrup in. All it did was lower my ABV to about 7.3 or so.

Back