40l Electric Urn: Please Help Me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbn_brewer

Reaction score
Hi there! Im a new member of this site but been surfing the forums for some time. Im also relatively new to brewing and Ive been doing extract brewing until no. So basically Ive been doing research on the net trying to find my next method of brewing. BIAB seems to be the most inexpensive way of getting around brewing beer. What interested me the most was that the whole brew could be done with an electric coffee urn. I think it would be worth my time to stick to a 40l earn at least but I have a few questions which Im hoping some of you guys can answer for me.

1. With a capacity of 40l what is the potential amount I can brew?
2. The urn contains a 2.4kw element. Can this element produce sufficient heat to boil in a 40l earn. Has anyone done this here?
3. Ive read of people bypassing the thermostat to bring to a roaring boil. Is there no danger to this such as burning out components or fire hazard?
4. Is there any disadvantage to brewing in an electric earn? (eg: will the beer turn out not as good for any reason)

Thanks for the help guys! Im looking forward to some replies!!!

dbn_brewer said:
Hi there! Im a new member of this site but been surfing the forums for some time. Im also relatively new to brewing and Ive been doing extract brewing until no. So basically Ive been doing research on the net trying to find my next method of brewing. BIAB seems to be the most inexpensive way of getting around brewing beer. What interested me the most was that the whole brew could be done with an electric coffee urn. I think it would be worth my time to stick to a 40l earn at least but I have a few questions which Im hoping some of you guys can answer for me.

1. With a capacity of 40l what is the potential amount I can brew?
2. The urn contains a 2.4kw element. Can this element produce sufficient heat to boil in a 40l earn. Has anyone done this here?
3. Ive read of people bypassing the thermostat to bring to a roaring boil. Is there no danger to this such as burning out components or fire hazard?
4. Is there any disadvantage to brewing in an electric earn? (eg: will the beer turn out not as good for any reason)

Thanks for the help guys! Im looking forward to some replies!!!

1. Probably 8 gal would be safe. 9 if careful with boilover.
2. 2400 W should bring that much to boil. May take a while.
3. I'd put a PID on it to control the output accurately.
4. As long as its not plastic. I don't see why it would. Most are stainless. No I haven't done this.
Edit Boar is probably right. 5-6 gal with BIAB.

1 40 L is 10 gallons so you should be able to brew 5-6 gallon batches

2 If it boils coffee it should work. I can’t see any problems bypassing the thermostat
3 You should be find brewing that way.

Back