Coopers IPA bottling/conditioning help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
Ok I know I am being impatient and paranoid but.... I am one week into my bottling & conditioning. I used the PET bottles and coopers drops. I followed their directions by adding 2 drops per bottle. Someone told me to test it after a week. So today marks a week and I opened a bottle with barely any carbonation and it tasted waaayyyy flat and lacked in flavor! As a note it is in a room that averages about 66-68 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this normal or a cause for concern? I have also heard it takes about a month +. Will it continue to carbonate and develop flavor? Please help a paranoid first time brewer. Thanks guys!

Don't be paranoid.. ez for me to say.. right. My first brew was a Coopers and I was quite disappointed. Needless to say, there are some here in HBT that have turned the Coopers kits into something that sounds like very good brew.

But, back to your first comment. The answer is "patience grasshopper"

I left my first Coops in the fermenter for four weeks.. not the 1 that the instructions suggested. The I bottled and let the brew condition for 3 weeks before opening the first bottle. The carbonation was very good.. but the beer was very thin and poor mouthfeel. I didn't care for it at all. I finally finished drinking it. Should have used it to make beer bread.. :)

Be patient and check out some of the recipes on the Coopers site in Australia. They always add more LME or DME. Also, Unionrdr has some recipes he's developed in his page here.

Good luck and don't let this batch discourage you. Hopefully, it will turn out better than mine. I've now started doing extract with specialty grains and have MUCH better results.

HbgBill said:
Don't be paranoid.. ez for me to say.. right. My first brew was a Coopers and I was quite disappointed. Needless to say, there are some here in HBT that have turned the Coopers kits into something that sounds like very good brew.

But, back to your first comment. The answer is "patience grasshopper"

I left my first Coops in the fermenter for four weeks.. not the 1 that the instructions suggested. The I bottled and let the brew condition for 3 weeks before opening the first bottle. The carbonation was very good.. but the beer was very thin and poor mouthfeel. I didn't care for it at all. I finally finished drinking it. Should have used it to make beer bread.. :)

Be patient and check out some of the recipes on the Coopers site in Australia. They always add more LME or DME. Also, Unionrdr has some recipes he's developed in his page here.

Good luck and don't let this batch discourage you. Hopefully, it will turn out better than mine. I've now started doing extract with specialty grains and have MUCH better results.

Thanks for the advice. It's my first batch so I'm not expecting it to win me any awards. I do look forward to moving into more in depth homebrewing. I will update in 2-3 weeks when it is ready.... Crossing my fingers ;)

Back