American 3L "Pale" malt vs. Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I recently made a batch using Great Western "Pale" Malt vs. Great Western "Premium 2-row". AFAIK, they are both 2-row, but the Pale is ~3L, vs. the ~1.9L of the Premium 2-row.

Just biting into the unmalted grain, the "Pale" malt was the tastiest of all of my malt products, and the wort was alot richer and it seemed darker than I would have expected given it's only a bit higher in color than std. 2-row.

I hear people rave about British Maris Otter, which I've never tasted. It's also more "Pale" at 3L or so. So I wonder, is it similar in flavor?

I think it's great to buy locally grown stuff, when possible. (I'd buy Maris Otter if I lived in the U.K.). But I may have to buy a pound of M.O. just to taste. Anyone actually compared them?

Rich

I think the "pale" malt you have is what is often called "pale ale" malt, which does tend to be a little heartier/sweeter/darker(marginally). At my LHBS, he has "pale malt" and "pale ale malt" - both made from 2-row and pretty mush the same L's as the two you mention.

I've brewed with MO, but never side by side. I would be interested. I also just brewed a pale with some belgian pils (got it half price at LHBS) and wasn't really impressed in the setting of a pale.

Do some experiments and let us know what you find out!

Good Luck!

I use both GW 2-row and GW Pale and Crisp Maris Otter. The real difference with the 2-row and the pale is that the pale is just a bit more kilned and has a fuller flavor and a slightly darker color. Maris Otter is a very distinct malt that has a toasted quality to it. I have compared the GW pale ale malt and MO, and I find them both great. The GW is great for most American Ales, while the MO lends itself to English styles better. A blend of the two is also very good.

I get GW Pale Malt for $33 for a #50 bag, the MO is $68....

Back