Phenolic taste from sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodapop

Reaction score
I just kegged an all centennial ipa, and it has a very plastic off flavor that I am almost certain came from this LD carlson Easy clean crap I just used. I am in the process of moving, so the Star San is packed away. I remembered I had this Easy clean so I used that to clean my line to transfer to the keg. I did not rinse it says "no rinse", and now the first thing that comes to mind on the first sip is PLASTIC. I looked it up and chlorine is typically responsible for Plastic associated tastes, and am pretty sure that is my problem. My question is, is there anything to do that will get rid of this taste other than dumping it, and might it Mellow over time?
thanks

It sounds like the bacteria won the race with the yeast in the fermenter and you have an infected batch. If the smell and taste is the "vinyl tape"- nail polish type aroma then you will probably have to say goodbye to that batch. It is likely that there was trapped material that was infected and had broken loose in the transfer plumbing to the fermenter as that is where the infection would have been most likely to have been at. After fermentation the alchohol is high enough that you normaly only have to deal with the souring type bacterial infections that start with a buttery aroma and progress to sour taste.
The LD Carlson cleaner is an OxyClean type compound, cleans okay but might not kill all the beasties in ones system plumbing if the solution was not strong enough.

It might mellow over time, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I have had a few batches with the plastic taste to them, I immediatly stopped using anything with chlorine, thought I had it beat until I made an 11gal. batch of an amber, split it into 2 seperate fermenters and dry hopped one of them. The one I had dry hopped had the plastic taste, the other didn't.

This may help: The taste and smell of phenols in beer. The symptoms and causes when homebrewing.

Back