1.03 FG with washed yeast, multiple times!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrisby

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Started washing yeast and began using the washed yeast over the last several brews. First few times seemed to work well. The last two brews have had a FG of 1.03.

Outside of the washed yeast, all other techniques are consistent with the past (i.e. mash temps with the same equipment, temp controled chest freezer, ect...)

Beer 1
OG 1.071
FG 1.030

Primary 1 month

periodic shaken yeast starter with 400ml Malta drink and 400ml water for SG of 1.03.

Beer 2
OG 1.051
FG 1.030

Primary 1 month
Periodic shaken yeast starter with 400ml Malta drink and 400ml water for SG of 1.03.

Now have a stir plate and will be using it the first time for tomorrow's brew.

Thanks for any ideas.

Well, first off I've never heard of people using Malta drink for starters and don't know what its contents are in terms of types of sugars and nutrients so I can't really comment on that but that was the first thing that stood out to me. Have you always used this for starters?

Other than that I'm wondering how the initial beer with that yeast turned out? Did it properly attenuate? What kind of yeast is it? And how long had you saved the yeast and under what conditions?

Well, first off I've never heard of people using Malta drink for starters and don't know what its contents are in terms of types of sugars and nutrients so I can't really comment on that but that was the first thing that stood out to me. Have you always used this for starters?

Malta Goya is pretty common for folks to use to make starters.

OP, need to know more... mash temps? yeast strain? ferm temps? recipe? Harvesting/washing process? Pitch Rates? Aeration? It's most likely not your yeast, but something in your brewing or yeast harvesting process that is causing the stalled fermentation.

Latest posts

Back