Plastic Coolers, Hot Liquids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together what I'm calling a mega brew day, and do 3 batches through my 10 gallon system.

This is for a bunch of curious souls who have all said they'd like to be a part of a brew day to observe how it works. I'm thinking a crew of half a dozen newbies, plus myself.

My issue is that I've only got one kettle and one burner and it makes a choke point in the process for mashing (we're doing all grain).

I'm toying with the idea of using a spare 100qt cooler I have as a hot liquor tank to hold water for mashing and sparging that way I can do all of my boiling on the front end.

I'm curious how hot I can go. Igloo says don't put hot liquids in their coolers, but we all use them for mash tuns already.

Does anybody know how hot you can store water in an igloo cooler? Am I going to poison myself with plastic if I keep 175 degree water in a cooler for four hours?

Back