Fermentation/Carbonation/Head Formation in Secondary? Belgian White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemwood

Reaction score
A few hours ago I transferred my Belgian Wit from a primary bucket to a secondary glass carboy. According to my gravity readings, the fermentation was 100% finished, and the airlock was only moving about once/twice per minute. I transferred after 8 days in the primary bucket.

A few hours after I transferred into the secondary I noticed that the air lock was bubbling away and that the carboy was actually fizzing on top. There are tiny bubbles rising and forming a head on top, like a carbonated beer, forming a head. This has been going on for 3 hours. I have not taken another Gravity reading to see if it has dropped and is actually fermenting. I didn't want to open the secondary again until transferring to keg. It looks more like a head, than krausen.

Is it possible I had a stuck fermentation and it kicked back up? Or is it just because I'm working with a wheat beer? How concerned should I be? I'm worried that the head will make it's way up into the air lock.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've been making beer for about a year and I haven't had any issues during secondary fermentation. The room temperature conditions have been at a constant 68/69 degrees for the past 8 days, so no issues there.

Any help is appreciated....thanks.

Sounds like it's just offgasing from the transfer, it should subside in a few hrs, RDWHAHB is in order methinks. On the other hand, if it is starting back up, that's fine too.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

OK, thanks for making me feel better about it. I recently moved, so this is my first batch in a few weeks, so I'll have to have a commercial beer instead. Old Speckled Hen to the rescue.

Uh oh, I just checked up on it (been checking every 15 min or so), and foam has moved up the neck of the carboy, discoloring the water in the airlock. Am I OK or screwed?

Hook up a blowoff tube right away if you don't want beer on the ceiling.

The combination of mechanical agitation along with some inevitable oxygen uptake that comes with siphoning is often enough to reactivate the yeast for a final little push through some remaining sugars.

You are certainly not screwed. Just don't forget the blowoff tube. If you can't rig that up, crimp down some aluminum foil over the neck until the foaming stops.

Back