Beer Still a Bit Cloudy in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okactuary

Reaction score
I have had a Belgian Tripel in the secondary for two weeks and it still seems a bit cloudy. I am wondering if additional time will help it be clear more, and how long I can keep in the secondary before I need to bottle?

Thanks.

Some more time might help quite a bit. You don't have to bottle for months, so don't worry about that.

Sometimes "cold crashing" the fermenter clears the beer right up, too! If you have room in a fridge, or a very cold spot in your basement, you can place the fermenter in there and give it a try. One thing- when the beer cools, it can cause a vacuum so the airlock can get sucked back into the fermenter. To get around that, you can use a carboy cap if you have one, or a bung without an airlock. If you dont' have either of those, you can just make sure your airlock has "clean" vodka in it, or cover the opening with sanitized foil, before chilling it.

The cold temperature causes much of the suspended yeast and other particles to fall out and usually gives you nice clear beer in about three days. If it's still not clear, you could try some gelatin finings after that.

My trip was kind of cloudy for the first few months out of the bottle, but after 14 months it's crystal clear and tastes better after each month. Don't let appearance ruin it for you.

We're talking a Triple, this is a beer thought of in months, not weeks.....It's in the right place, the secondary to clear, in other words, to become less cloudy.

So it's all good!

Just walk away for a couple months and you will be surprised.

And in the mean time go brew something else. Something that will be ready sooner. :mug:

Back