Will phenols age out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtejedor

Reaction score
Just finished a batch of pale ale. Should have known better but I used an extremely old pack of yeast. Even though I stepped it up a few times I think wild yeast took over. I had a sample of the beer early on and got hit with a plastic taste. Took a sample after the batch seemed to be done fermenting and after it warmed a bit I was hit with the smell of cloves and the taste was aweful and medicinal. I think I already know the answer but is there any hope for this batch? Can these terrible flavors age out at all or will it just keep getting worse?

Some people will tell you the off flavors will age out. However I have about 50 bottles of phenol packed beers that are 8 months old and still taste horrible. I guess it all depends on what your willing to drink :)

jtejedor said:
Just finished a batch of pale ale. Should have known better but I used an extremely old pack of yeast. Even though I stepped it up a few times I think wild yeast took over. I had a sample of the beer early on and got hit with a plastic taste. Took a sample after the batch seemed to be done fermenting and after it warmed a bit I was hit with the smell of cloves and the taste was aweful and medicinal. I think I already know the answer but is there any hope for this batch? Can these terrible flavors age out at all or will it just keep getting worse?

It will stay the same, some things won't age or filter. Maybe if you oak aged it? Not sure but might be worth experimenting. Here are the reasons for this happening though, so check your processes before the next batch. I know I forgot to sani my keg after caustic and ruined the batch.
HIGH LEVELS DUE TO PROCESS: Yeast strain; chlorophenols in the water; improper rinse of chlorine sanitizers; oversparging; sparging above pH 6.0; sparging above 170 degrees; wild yeast contamination. -http://www.kroc.org/Links/TroubleshootingGuide.htm

Sounds like you have chlorophenols. This happened to me once with a rauchbier and the end product had an unmistakable plastic band-aid flavor/aroma. I tried aging for over a year and it never aged out so I dumped it. This can usually be easily remedied in a couple different ways including a carbon water filter, pre-boiling your brewing water, using campden tablets in the brewing water, etc.

Mine happened due to underpitching and fermenting too hot. Stressed yeast can produce some funky flavors.

Back