Plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneawesomeguy

Reaction score
So what do you guys think about plastic in brewing?

I have always been a bit reluctant to using plastics in cooking and storing food (I use only glass, cast iron, and stainless steal). Does anybody know of any ill-effects using plastic may have on one's health? I remember back in high school my mother would tell me to not drink water in plastic bottles when left in the sun because "It will make you gay" (something to do with hormones). I am just wondering if this irrational fear of plastic steams from this or if it has any validity. Does anybody know of any scientific studies on the topic?

Related question: Is it okay to just dump four gallons of boiling water into a plastic fermenter? Does boiling water change the answer to the above?

1. I've been using plastic primary's for the last 15 years of brewing. No problems.

2. You won't be dumping 4 gallons of boiling water into any fermenter, plastic, metal or glass. You chill the wort down some, and if adding it hot to the primary, you better have a few gallons of cold water in there already to sink the heat.

2. You won't be dumping 4 gallons of boiling water into any fermenter, plastic, metal or glass. You chill the wort down some, and if adding it hot to the primary, you better have a few gallons of cold water in there already to sink the heat.

I beg to differ on the above, I do some "No Chill" beers where I dump near boiling wort right in to a plastic HDPE fermenter with no issues. Or at least no issues yet! :D

The general consensus is that if there is a #1 or #2 in the little recycle triangle on the plastic container then it's safe for fermenting.

I remember back in high school my mother would tell me to not drink water in plastic bottles when left in the sun because "It will make you gay" (something to do with hormones).

Anything but a 1 or 2 can leach chemicals when heated. Many of these chemicals act as synthetic estrogen, so I don't know about making you gay, but you'll get some mean man boobs to go with your cancer. Chemicals like BPAs have also been linked with cancer, ADD, diabetes and a boat load of other things, so stay away from heating non food safe plastic.

+ 1 on the near boiling wort straight into my plastic fermentator. just take a SG reading the next morning and pitch the yeast.

I know of a guy up in the Cleavland area that had his RIMS rig plumbed with 1/2 drinking water (pvc) lines and didnt seem to have any problems..

You are all obviously gay. And as for the friend in Cleveland, if he's from Lakewood he's gay. I guess I'm working on being gay. Just don't tell my girlfriend. She's a keeper.

I beg to differ on the above, I do some "No Chill" beers where I dump near boiling wort right in to a plastic HDPE fermenter with no issues. Or at least no issues yet! :D

The general consensus is that if there is a #1 or #2 in the little recycle triangle on the plastic container then it's safe for fermenting.

"No Chill" is Heresy!

We will burn all who refuse to chill at the stake!

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inqusition!

Don't make me get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

;)

http://bluegrasssportsreporters.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/man-boobs.jpg

ManBoobs-762924.png

Back