I want to add Lemon for Summer Shandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried the Kool Aid method and the results are good. Not an overpowering lemon flavor but subtle. I brewed mine in a wheat beer recipe. Great suggestion!

We brewed a summer ale last spring and at bottling time the last bottle was only 1/2 fill. Mixed a a Crystal Light Lemon packet into a new bottle of water. Stirred it up again and used it to top off the last bottle and capped it. Marked it with tape and forgot about it. When time came, it went into the frig. SWMBO tried it, loved it, and said it was the best thing we've ever done. I tried it and it was really good, but just a bit too sweet.

Funny part, the rest of the batch was undrinkable swill that did not get better with age. For this spring, after bottling a case of summer ale, we are gently adding approx 2 gals of bottled water with 2 gals worth of crystal light in the bottling bucket, stirring gently, and bottling <2 cases of Shandy.

Also, Squirt makes something similar to Crystal Light (also sugar free) that is more or less Grapefruit flavored. I plan on mixing this (in the bottling bucket) with a pale ale for a Grapefruit Shandy, again after a case of regular pale ale is bottled up. This will be for for tailgating at early NFL games when its still hella hot.

Back