pH meter story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a Hanna pHep5 meter for Christmas and got to play with it this weekend when I brewed.

After figuring out my additions in the awesome Bru'nwater spreadsheet, I mashed in and let it sit while I calibrated my meter. Then I pulled a sample and chilled it and took a reading:

Huh? I figured I'd be off, but... Ok, so maybe i don't really understand the spreadsheet or miscalibrated the meter or SOMETHING! Anyway, I decided to let it go this time and continue on.

When time allowed I sat back down at the computer to go through the spreadsheet again. That's when I saw it: An OLD entry in the malt addition worksheet.

I had supposedly erased all of the entries from the previous brew but somehow 1 lb. of roast malt was still in there. I deleted it and voila! 5.6!

So, my thought process seems to be intact, which is more than I could hope for, and my meter is thankfully accurate enough. I guess you could say I once again "Homered it".

Lesson learned. I'm going to open that spreadsheet, and blank all the values except the water profile and save it so I can't accidentally do this again.

I got the same meter for Christmas, but haven't used it yet for a batch. I love gadgets, so can't wait to use it.

Back