Two yeast strains, one beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krmak

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've got a tiny problem and can't decide what to do about it... I was planning to brew 30 l (cca. 8 gallons) of La Chouffe clone which is a Belgian specialty ale... Everything was great, got my recipe just right, bought the spices today, made some sugar candy when I realized that I've got just 1 pack (11,5 grams) of fermentis safbrew S-33 for pitching...so the question is, do i under pitch with only one packet of yeast or do I use one packet of safbrew S-33 and add another 100-200 ml of yeast slurry of fermentis safbrew WB-06 which I have from my hefeweizen brew in my fridge? I am worried that the wb-06 will produce too many off-flavours to the beer, but still phenols and esters in Belgian ales are a good thing right? :D

tc, :mug:

Yeast character is pretty much the name of the game with Chouffe. I'd do everything I could to get more yeast. Neither underpitching nor adding hefeweizen yeast sounds like a good idea.

Well you could grow a starter for the dry yeast so you don't underpitch, but I also like the idea of using two different yeast strains.
I made a witbier with WB-06 and I don't think it had too many off flavors, I also fermented in the low 70's F. But I'm a little prejudiced I like banana and a little clove in my wheat beer.

Best of luck :mug:

Back