POLL: Cidery beer - leave it, rack it to secondary, or bottle it???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to do with my cidery brew?

• Nothing, leave it in primary.

• Rack it to secondary.

• Bottle it.

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

HomebrewMTB

Reaction score
I brewed a B3 Blonde Ale about 3 weeks ago. For whatever reason, it's turned out smelling sour/cidery. It's time where I would be bottling but wondering if I should proceed. I want to wait it out to see if it mellows, where is the best place for it? I don't need the carboy right now so I don't mind leaving it.

I would make sure it's not infected, did you use a lot of sugar for fermentables? I wouldn't think a sour smell is good unless you are brewing particularly a sour beer. It is probably done fermenting, but it wouldn't be bad to leave it in the primary if anything it would age the beer a little bit. I would bottle it and while you are bottling it check for contamination's, off colors or other growths.

It did have some chunky white krausen that was a bit different but I haven't used the US-05 before. It settled out and there is just a few bubbles now. If it's contaminated/infected, there aren't any visual signs of it now. I just looked through 30 pages of the infection thread pics and don't have any of that mess anyway. As for the fermentables, I just used the More Beer kit ingredients. I assume it was just malt extract in the bag. The temp couldn't have been that far out of whack, maybe 72* at the most. A little high but I've done worse. I might expect a little estery but not like this cider smell. Weird.

Anyway if it happens again I'll be worried but for now I'll just chalk it up as a fluke contamination. If there aren't any definitive suggestions I'll just leave it and check back next week. I need to brew again but now my pipeline has been interrupted.

I dumped it. Nothing (unusual) growing in it but it was nasty. Must have been some wild yeasties. I'll just need to be more careful with sanitation next time. First time in over 10 years of brewing. At least it was only a $20 kit including yeast (deal of the day). I'd be upset if it was a nice big IPA. Live and learn...sanitize, sanitize, sanitize!

Back