Checking Gravity on Small Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My hydrometer floats too deep (I'm pretty sure) for some of the smaller 1 or 2 gallon batches I've been thinking about using.

What's the best way to handle this?

I don't understand the problem. Are you putting the hydrometer into your fermenter? You shouldn't do that, just draw some beer off with a turkey baster and pour it into the tube that the hydrometer came in and check it there.

I don't understand the problem. Are you putting the hydrometer into your fermenter? You shouldn't do that, just draw some beer off with a turkey baster and pour it into the tube that the hydrometer came in and check it there.

This is way too much of a legitimate and good idea.

Haha, thanks.

Zen_Brew said:
Yes, what bknifefight said, or get yourself a refractometer and check your gravity with just a few drops of liquid. Here is a product link or you can often find good deals on Ebay.
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISDQ0S/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FBL2G0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=153KDVXM7048X4C00AAZ

How well do you think the auto temp correction would work? Cuz that would be awesome for checking SG during the boil

Last edited by a moderator:
why havent i heard of this elegid "re fractomoter" before? i must browse the web now at action speeds! forth there is more crap to be bought for my brew set up!

How well do you think the auto temp correction would work? Cuz that would be awesome for checking SG during the boil

The temp correction seems to work fine. In reality you are only putting a couple drops on the glass and if you wait several seconds before flipping the cover down the sample is going to be much closer to ambient temperature anyway as a couple drops cools pretty rapidly.

Careful with measuring fermented samples with the refractometer though. The alcohol will throw off the readings, but there are a few calculators out there that can adjust the reading you get so long as you have an accurate OG. Just didn't want you to freak out when you saw your number!

Right, you need a correction spreadsheet to use the hydrometer for fermenting or finished beer. There are correction sheets built into the popular brewing softwares, or you can get standalone sheets.

Also make sure to get a refractometer that is rated for brewing. They usually have a range of 0 t0 30 or 0 to 40 brix. There are refractometers made to measure other things, like the salinity of water that do not have the correct range for brewing.

Auto Temp Correction (ATC) refers to correcting for the temperature of the refractometer, not the wort. Non-ATC refractometers will read differently depending on how warm/cold they are. The sample should still be around 60-70°F for an accurate reading. Luckily, like others have said, since the sample size is so small it drops to room temp really quickly.

Back