DIN rail mounted DPDT mech Cube relays?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
Yeah! Another chance to show off my lack of "street smarts" when it comes to electrical hands-on-work....

In designing a control panel, I have added up that I will need 18 DPDT mechanical relays. That seems to be a lot to stuff in a control panel. But new to me is the use of a DIN rail system, and from looking at Automation Direct and their DIN mount sockets with DPDT relays, it looks like I'd really be able to save tons of space in my control panel, right? I'm trying to get the control panel size based upon everything that's going into it.

I have no experience with DIN railing, but it seems the way to go for using this # of DPDT relays. I'm guessing that the way these work is the ice cube relays simply "snap" into the sockets, which are just mounted on the DIN beam. Then all the appropriate wiring goes into the socket. Can anyone show a close up of this in action... It seems that I learn best by seeing pics, as word descriptions get interpreted differently by people.
Thanks! By the way, I'm planning on ordering all from automation direct.com to keep everything standardized.

Another option different than the cube relays: newark-33M9788
They come in DPDT as well, just browse the datasheet for other models. Units start at $11.76ea and there are quantity discounts. 30A current with a 12VDC coil. They use terminal blades for the wiring connection.
4385977.jpg

Can anyone show a close up of this in action... It seems that I learn best by seeing pics, as word descriptions get interpreted differently by people.
I hope this helps.
Four DIN rail mounted SPDT (black) relays

100_1079.jpg

4PDT (MCR) relay

100_0792.jpg

SPDT relay next to the power supply

Panel4-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Wow,
Those are really space saving! That looks like the way I'm going to have to do things. Thanks Claudius

:off:
Makes sense. Kind of like the touchscreen LCD I am putting together for my home brewery. No such thing as overkill when it comes to brewing beer at home.

Word. My out of pocket expense is soaring. Really though...when is enough really enough? This is my second build I'm working on. What? Brutus-clone isn't enough? I just want to know where this path ends.

Back