Help me Build my Fermentation Chest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillandCo

Reaction score
Hey everyone I posted a thread earlier and decided I want to make this old wooden chest into a fermentation cooler...The box as is wont fit carboys with airlocks so ill have to build a collar to increase the height.

Questions and concerns.

1. Is there anything wrong with me insulating with foam and tape (like others on this site) Id like it to look somewhat nice so when I open to show people it doesn't look to ghetto.

2. How in the hell will I cool this? Its obvious a mini fridge cannot be built into this...And Im not sure How I would install an AC unit into this either. What do you guys think is my best option for a cost effective low maintenance cooler.

3. Am I completely crazy? I figured this will give me a head start on so I wont have to start from the ground up.

Here is the old beat up box that needs to be sanded, painted, and insulated but I think it can be done.

Please post Ideas, Thanks

photo-1-2.jpg

If I just cut a hole in the back the size of the ac unit and slide it in what's the problem?

Back