Popping the lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBHBeer

Reaction score
Are there any issues that would occur with bleeding the pressure off my corny and opening the lid to check how much is left:tank:

Do you have a spare corny?

Weigh the empty and figure 40 pounds for 5 gallons water or 8 per gallon when you weigh the filled corny.

No issues at all as far as I'm concerned. I do this sometimes.

Not really, Because CO2 sinks. Make sure you bleed the oxygen out with CO2 after you put the lid on. There will be a cloud you can't see through when you pop the lid. Wait for it to dissipate. (You don't want to contaminate the beer)

I can think of several reasons not to though.
  • Skunk your beer if you don't get all of the oxygen out
  • You'll probably disturb the sediment on the bottom of the keg, clouding your beer
  • What will you learn?
  • With practice, you can get a pretty good idea of how much is left by gently lifting the keg. I did this this last weekend with my very first batch. Lifted the keg, thought "Well that must be just about empty..." I got one more pull out of it.

It's much safer to get some of these level indicators:

No idea how much an empty corny weighs...5lbs?

You can also take your keg out of the fridge, let it warm a bit, and look at the condensation line where the beer level is.

If you are doing so to determine when to make more beer...just make it now!

Emtpy corny keg ~9lbs
Gross corny weight 35lbs
=26lbs of beer=3.25gal
Should be enough to last until my ESB is ready

Back