East Dallas Water Utilities Monthly Mineral Analysis Report - September 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjs0187

Reaction score
I figured there are some other people in the area who would be interested in this.... I sure wish they would just host this stuff online somewhere...:

For those of you who arn't interested in every little detail, here is the relevant stuff:

CA:46 MG:3 NA:18 HCO3:75 SO4:53 Cl:26

Any water chemistry veterans care to give an analysis on the East Dallas water profile? My limited knowledge suggests that our water would work for darker beers, but pale beers and bitter beers would suffer from this mineral makeup.

very similar to north texas muni. See ntmwd.com and follow quality reports.
The publish the data.

Ask on Brew Science .

very similar to north texas muni. See ntmwd.com and follow quality reports.
The publish the data.

One thing I wonder about in the NTMWD reports is why they report the same number for bicarbonates(HCO3) in ppm and for total alkalinity as CaCO3. AFAIK, these are supposed to be in a 61/50 ratio (HCO3 to alkalinity). They started doing this in Sept., 2009 - prior to that the reported numbers were in the 61/50 ratio. A couple of years ago I tried to contact the NTMWD but couldn't get hold of anyone who knew the answer. I've also posted the question in the Brew Science forum, but never got an answer.

One thing I wonder about in the NTMWD reports is why they report the same number for bicarbonates(HCO3) in ppm and for total alkalinity as CaCO3. AFAIK, these are supposed to be in a 61/50 ratio (HCO3 to alkalinity). They started doing this in Sept., 2009 - prior to that the reported numbers were in the 61/50 ratio. A couple of years ago I tried to contact the NTMWD but couldn't get hold of anyone who knew the answer. I've also posted the question in the Brew Science forum, but never got an answer.

DeafSmith,

Thats a really good point. If I understand this correctly, I shouldn't have listed HC03 as 75 because the alkilinity is reported in CaCO3. If the ratio is 61/50 then does that mean HC03 is actually 91.5?

DeafSmith,

Thats a really good point. If I understand this correctly, I shouldn't have listed HC03 as 75 because the alkilinity is reported in CaCO3. If the ratio is 61/50 then does that mean HC03 is actually 91.5?

I don't know. It seems that one of the numbers is wrong, but which one? Or else there is something here that I don't understand.

Lakewood is up there in Garland just off 635 although I'm not sure they are on the Dallas muni system or the NTWD. Either way you could send them an email and ask what they do to treat the water since they make both dark and light beers.

Back