Is this a Converted Pin-Lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewThruYou

Reaction score
I bought a lot of homebrew stuff off someone on Craigslist (most of it pretty old) and received this keg. I've only worked with ball lock pepsi kegs, so I'm assuming this is a pin lock that's been converted?

I mean, I think it definitely was a pinlock...Coca-Cola sticker, no pressure relief pull valve, shorter and fatter than my ball locks. But these are ball lock fittings, right?

That's a converted pin lock. I have 4 of them and they work fine as long as you don't mind them being fatter. Some have trouble fitting as many of them in their keezer.

It still is a pinlock.

Makes sense. Thanks. I might try to trade or sell it towards a ball lock.

I got some older homebrew stuff from this guy - some really old Cornelius co2 regulator, the pin lock and a wort chiller that I have no idea how it works - looks like a counterflow or something since it has 4 ports...but it's encased in a pretty big PVC pipe.

Makes sense. Thanks. I might try to trade or sell it towards a ball lock.

I got some older homebrew stuff from this guy - some really old Cornelius co2 regulator, the pin lock and a wort chiller that I have no idea how it works - looks like a counterflow or something since it has 4 ports...but it's encased in a pretty big PVC pipe.

It is a counterflow chiller. Hopefully the ports aren't identical so you can figure out which are the jacket and which are the coil, but if they are identical you can run some hot water through one and if the PVC gets warm quickly you'll know which ones are for the jacket.

The pin locks can be converted easily enough if you have access to posts and poppets at a reasonable price (under $15 per keg would be my threshold for "reasonable"). Otherwise trade 'em or sell 'em outright...

Cheers!

It is a counterflow chiller. Hopefully the ports aren't identical so you can figure out which are the jacket and which are the coil, but if they are identical you can run some hot water through one and if the PVC gets warm quickly you'll know which ones are for the jacket.

The pin locks can be converted easily enough if you have access to posts and poppets at a reasonable price (under $15 per keg would be my threshold for "reasonable"). Otherwise trade 'em or sell 'em outright...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. Yes, I can tell the ports apart...two are barbed copper or brass (wort in wort out) and the other two are plastic garden hose (water in water out). However, I'm pretty happy with my 50' IC, so I guess I'll try to trade/sell/give this away.

Edit: Just did some research and it's actually called a Hybrid Chiller: http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixC.html

Cornykeg.com, kegcowboy.com amd other places have conversion kits cheap. Its easy to do,and you would be better off converting it than trying to sell it and get a ball lock.

Back