Advice on hopping an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WC87

Reaction score
I'm formulating an IPA recipe and soliciting advice on hopping it.

Here's my grain bill (10 gals AG) :

23# Pale ale malt
1# Caramunich malt
1# Munich malt
1# Crystal 60L
.5# Maltodextrin

Hops in inventory
Amarillo - 4 oz pellet
Cascade - 4 oz pellet
Cascade - 2 oz leaf
Centennial - 4 oz pellet
Simcoe - 4 oz pellet
Chinook - 4 oz pellet
Columbus - 4 oz pellet
Santium - 4 oz pellet
E Kent Goldings - 2 oz pellet

Considering Amarillo for bittering and aroma, and Centennial, Cascade or Simcoe for aroma and/or flavor? Dry hop with Simcoe - looking for pine notes?

Thoughts?

Amarillo/Simcoe is a great combo. As far as pine notes, ou'll probably want chinook or simcoe in the flavor hops to pull that off. Amarillo seems like a waste at bittering IMO, because its such a low AA, why not use a little chinook to get your IBUs? Or maybe Columbus. If you had more Amarillo, it wouldn't be so bad. Use that amarillo at aroma and dryhop, along with simcoe. Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe sounds good. I just recently did a Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade brew. Can't wait to see how it comes out. I halfed the Chinook, compared to the other flavor/aroma hops.

Just formulate the recipe picking your flavor/aroma hops first, then put in the bittering addtion last and adjust to what ever IBU you are targeting

I think the Chinook for bittering idea is a great one and I'll be formulating my recipe around that. Thanks for the response.

Latest posts

Back