I'm freaking - talk me down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
OK - relax.

Just brewed up AHs Double Chocolate Stout.

Everything went perfectly - problem is the Yeast.

took it out of the frig this morning (45 degrees). It had 8 hours to warm to room temp.

Smacked 5 hours ago and made sure it was a solid smack.

WYeast Ale 1098 did not balloon out like normal. On the good side when I pitched it SMELLED like yeast so that is going for it.

Another problem was it I did a minimash but the OG is 1.045 and not 1.056.

I THINK I did everything perfectly but ??????

at 1.045 it's not like it's a HUGE Brew that needs a super size starter to ferment.

Go get a beer, Chill out, and post back tomorrow evening when it's fermenting like KRAZY.

That's what I needed LOL.

I've never had a Wyeast NOT bubble up.

A little short of OG - sort of stumped on that one.

Good side is I've gottin the cold break down to 15 minutes.

I wouldn't worry, my last wyeast pack never swelled. I made 2 starters out of it and pitched into my 10 gallon batch today. It started bubbling within 4 hours.

I've only used two Wyeast packs... One didn't puff up at all and worked awesomely, and the one that ballooned up didn't work well at all.

On your OG issue: My first 3-4 mini-mashes were off by as much as 10. I can pretty consistently hit the mark now. It just takes practice to get your temps right, grain crushed just right, the right amount of water...etc.
It will likely just be a little thinner and lighter in alcohol. No big deal, really.

I brewed up the same batch Saturday. Yours should be fermenting like crazy now. My primary is in my room and the noise almost kept me up last night.

Back