Capping honey..so is this pollen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
So I made a 4L batch of show mead with capping honey from a friend's parents' farm. It's been sitting for a little bit now, enough that the body of the batch has pretty well cleared. There is, however, a tenacious layer of.. something.. sitting in the top of the carboy. It was mixed into the honey and settled near the top mere hours to days after pitching. Thoughts on how I should handle racking it? I'd like to retain it for flavor if it is pollen.

pic:
http://imgur.com/YnQ6W0o

(the lumps are raisins, because some days I dont care to run out for nutrient.)

Id put my money on it being wax and protein from the hive. Ive allways gotten a small layer similar to that. Id imagine that the less filtered or rawer honey would just have more of it. Shouldnt hurt anything, just try not to disturb it roo much when you go to rack.

Wax particles.

I would suggest mixing the honey with some of the water that you would use, then running the resulting thinned liquid through a filter, if it bothers you.

Or you need to let the honey settle and separate from he wax and assorted legs, wings, etc., before you mix it in. Clean and clear in, clean and clear out!

TeeJo

Back