New Danstar Belle Saison Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious...

What makes people here say, "now thats a saison"? Must it taste like DuPont? Can it have a strong brett character? Can it be sour? All pils/pale or can it be dark? What about no sugar adjunct? What about terminal gravity, what's acceptable now compared to when "Farmhouse Ales" was written?

Maybe this is a question destined to be its own thread.
sounds good... i've started a new thread on this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-makes-people-here-say-now-thats-saison-488481/

i feel like i my beer was very "saisony". After 24 hours I let it go without temp control, I'm in a tropical climate so the beer probably hit mid 80's, maybe even 90's during peak fermentation mid day. so maybe its the higher temps...
Young it had a strong Funk to it. That has subsided now (4-5 months in) with some citrus n spice showing too. I think its a solid strain that can produce a Saison up there with the best.

I'm planning a big beer (RIS) soon and am curious about using this yeast as I hear a lot of members raving about its high attenuation. Would it be a good choice for this style?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm planning a big beer (RIS) soon and am curious about using this yeast as I hear a lot of members raving about its high attenuation. Would it be a good choice for this style?

I would say no if you want it to be to style. I think Belle Saison would probably dry it out too much and give you too much of a Belgian-ish/Saison flavor for a traditional RIS. But, if you're into Belgian Stouts then I think it would probably be worth a try!

you could try it as a secondary yeast, especially if the primary yeast craps out early. that way youll get most of the flavor from an american or english strain.

i don't think it would be good in a stout. stouts depend on low attenuation so that there is enough residual sugar to counterbalance the acrid/ashy flavors from the roasted malts. BS would attenuate too much, not leave behind enough (or any!) sugars, and you'll have an unpleasant beer. i supposed you could add back some sweetness via lactose, but then who knows what the right balance is, and lactose has its own flavor, etc. better off using a less attenuative belgian yeast if you want a belgian stout.

now if you want a dark or black saison, BS might be a valid choice... but look up black saison recipes. they don't have nearly as much roasted malt as an imp stout does. they also often use things like de-husked roasted malts to get color but not flavor (again, unlike a RIS).

For what it's worth, Jester King's Black Metal is their Imperial Stout and they use a farmhouse yeast in it because a) all their beers use farmhouse yeast, and b) the attenuation is great in it. After hearing their interview on The Brewing Network where they talk about this, I decided I'd try it on a RIS someday. I haven't done it yet, but plan to someday! :D I think it'd be a great experiment!

Used this yeast Sunday it had a sulfur smell when I rehydrated. It didn't seem to do anything after minutes pitched into a 1.073 wort. As of 36hrs haven't really seen anything. Checking hydrometer reading tonight. Is it possible I did something wrong?

Inadvertently did a Fresh Hopped White IPA (hoppy wheat saison?) with this yeast when my 3787 starter blew off all its yeast. Pretty happy with it. It's letting the juiciness come through from the orange peel and Citra/Galaxy and the fresh Centennial is the star. May want to try with a Wit yeast later, but pretty cool overall.

Used this yeast Sunday it had a sulfur smell when I rehydrated. It didn't seem to do anything after minutes pitched into a 1.073 wort. As of 36hrs haven't really seen anything. Checking hydrometer reading tonight. Is it possible I did something wrong?

What temp is it at? This yeast likes it warm. It may also be a long growth phase if you only pitched one pack in that high an OG.

Oh, definitely wait the full 48 hours before getting in there. Then just peek for activity. If it isn't doing anything you could pitch more yeast, but I'd be surprised. I've had 48 hr lag times before with no issues.

Oh, definitely wait the full 48 hours before getting in there. Then just peek for activity. If it isn't doing anything you could pitch more yeast, but I'd be surprised. I've had 48 hr lag times before with no issues.

Okay, I checked at 40 hrs didn't see anything smelled awesome though. So will wait and check again in the morning then.

Update:
Saw some bubbling this morning hoping this is a sign that it is finally working.

Strange. I brewed a saison, pitched this yeast (rehydrated) in the afternoon, went to a party, and it was bubbling when I got home.

I fermented in basement at around 70 F and it worked fine. I wonder if you got a bad pack?

I just had a bottle of a two month old Saison made with Belle Saison based on a recipe here on the forum, tastes pretty good! The yeast characteristics are somewhat subdued I think because of an increased pitch rate and not letting the fermenter get into some crazy temps (anything above the 75 ambient of an air conditioned apartment). Either way, peppery with a hint of banana, this is a pretty good yeast in my opinion.

Fellas,
I made the Saison recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and pitched Belle Saison.
The beer did not taste any good on its own. I mixed it with a batch of Belgian Wit with coriander and orange peel. The result was very good. Everyone enjoys it.

Fellas,
I made the Saison recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and pitched Belle Saison.
The beer did not taste any good on its own. I mixed it with a batch of Belgian Wit with coriander and orange peel. The result was very good. Everyone enjoys it.

Do you like saisons?

Planning on brewing a Saison with this same yeast this Sunday. Was going to brew it last Saturday but it rained. My only concern at the moment is our weather forecast is listing the high for the day at 84 degrees. At that temp I doubt the ground water will be cool enough running through my chiller to get the temp low enough. This past Sunday when I did my Pumpkin I got the temp down to 76 but after pitching put the fermenter in my kegerator to cool it down to the low 60's. That beer is still in there so I have to ferment where I usually do - front hallway. I see Northern lists this yeasts max fermenting temp at 77, but I can swear I've read elsewhere it's good up to 85 degrees. Can anyone chime in from experience on the max temp range for this yeast?

Rev.

Dude,I ferment this at 35c,I am not sure of the conversion to Farenheit,but it is a lot bloody warmer than 84!
Get it in there,the warmer the better

Dude,I ferment this at 35c,I am not sure of the conversion to Farenheit,but it is a lot bloody warmer than 84!
Get it in there,the warmer the better

Holy moly, you ferment this at 95F?? And it comes out great? If so well then I'm confident to go for it.

Rev.

I left mine to ferment on my kitchen counter while the A/C kept the house at 78F. After spending a couple of weeks in a cold keg on gas, it had too much sulfur odor to it, so I gently shook the keg and vented off gas until the sulfur was gone. Not sure what I would have done had I bottled it. And even then it took a few more weeks of just sitting in a cold keg before the funk level reduced from overwhelming to an interesting component of the beer's flavor.

I use Belle Saison regularly. It's been my experience that after you pitch it, you need to yank your hand back so the yeasties don't latch on and start munching on it along with the wort...:)

I'm exaggerating, of course. But this stuff has always been rock-solid reliable for me. Yours should've taken off in a matter of hours, so yes - something's wrong.

-Did you rehydrate per the instructions on the packet, paying attention to the recommended temperature?

-Was the temperature of your rehydrated yeast near the temperature of the wort when you pitched it, and was the wort in the proper temperature range for pitching?

-Was your yeast treated gently beforehand, instead of being exposed to extreme conditions while being shipped or stored? Was it somewhere this side of old and senile? Dry yeasts are pretty durable, but they aren't bullet-proof.

Planning on brewing a Saison with this same yeast this Sunday. Was going to brew it last Saturday but it rained. My only concern at the moment is our weather forecast is listing the high for the day at 84 degrees. At that temp I doubt the ground water will be cool enough running through my chiller to get the temp low enough.
suggestion: once you chill the beer as much as you can and get it in your fermentor, let it cool to ambient before pitching the yeast. use an ice bath (swamp cooler) to knock it down a few degrees.

pitching yeast warm then letting them cool isn't a great idea. yeast like stability, so get the wort to fermentation temp before pitching. if your sanitation practices are good, the wort will be fine for several hours. i've pitched the next morning with no issues.

Planning on brewing a Saison with this same yeast this Sunday. Was going to brew it last Saturday but it rained. My only concern at the moment is our weather forecast is listing the high for the day at 84 degrees. At that temp I doubt the ground water will be cool enough running through my chiller to get the temp low enough. This past Sunday when I did my Pumpkin I got the temp down to 76 but after pitching put the fermenter in my kegerator to cool it down to the low 60's. That beer is still in there so I have to ferment where I usually do - front hallway. I see Northern lists this yeasts max fermenting temp at 77, but I can swear I've read elsewhere it's good up to 85 degrees. Can anyone chime in from experience on the max temp range for this yeast?

Rev.

I'm with sweetcell. I would get it cooled to at or below fermentation temp before pitching.

If the Pumpkin beer has been fermenting since last Sunday it should be pretty much done with the initial part of fermentation by this Sunday so you could go ahead and pull it out and put the new wort in there to chill. The initial vigorous part of fermentation is when you need to keep it cool, after that it's fine to rise into the 70's. That will actually help it with attenuation and clean up.

But after you get the saison to pitching temp I would not keep it in the fridge. I would just let it go at ambient room temp.

I'm with sweetcell. I would get it cooled to at or below fermentation temp before pitching.

That interesting, but I have to ask... if dry yeast requires rehydrating at 80-90 degrees won't I have to also get that temp down a bit as well so that I don't pitch it into wort that is above 15 degrees temperature difference? That's why I figured it would be easier to pitch and cool it down to the fermenting temp I was shooting for. I rehydrated with something like 90 degree water and pitched into 79 degree wort. I put the fermenter in the kegerator and set it to 55. It took several hours to cool down to 65 then I set the temp to 62.

I used to always use liquid yeast, having only used dry about 4-5 times before. Been looking to use dry yeast a bit more often where I can get away not using a liquid yeast (like for my wheats I'll probably always be using Wyeast). But dry yeast is so much more convenient since you don't typically have to make starters nor do I have to worry as much about getting Wyeast packs with old dates or transporting in hot weather.

So for the Saison I'm not exactly sure what temp it will be fermenting at since it will be sitting at whatever ambient temp my hallway is at this time. My hallway is awesome for fermenting in fall and winter but we still have some warm days now. I'm guessing it will probably ferment around 75-80 total, counting for the extra warmth created by the yeast. That should be easy to cool down to with the chiller so I might not need to use the kegerator after all.

Rev.

Do you like saisons?

I do like Saisons. I am not sure if my negative experience with this yeast was due to the yeast flavour or my use of it.
I have used 3711, French Saison in a pilsner/saaz Smash and it is very tasty. Based on this very limited experience I would take 3711 over Belle Saison.

Holy moly, you ferment this at 95F?? And it comes out great? If so well then I'm confident to go for it.

Rev.

The last time I used this yeast I split a batch and after two days in upper sixties low 70s I moved half of it to my garage where the temperature was completely unpredictable. I guarantee it hit at least 90-95 degrees for hours at a time.

That being said that portion of the batch is quite tasty in my opinion so this yeast can easily handle the high temps.

That interesting, but I have to ask... if dry yeast requires rehydrating at 80-90 degrees won't I have to also get that temp down a bit as well so that I don't pitch it into wort that is above 15 degrees temperature difference?

You do, yes. Once it's been rehydrated at the specified temperature for the specified time, put the container it's in into a cold water bath, and stir it using a sanitized thermometer until it is very near the temperature of the wort (assuming the wort is already at pitching temperature).

This is the point to use a thief to pull a gravity sample. You can also pull a bit more wort and add it to your cup of rehydrated yeast, before you dump the yeast into the wort.

So I made my Belgian Saison yesterday, rehydrated this yeast exactly per instructions, brought the yeast temp down to within 4-5 degrees of the wort temp and pitched it. Wow, this stuff is wild like Hefeweizen yeast! It reeeally took off. Within 6 hours it was bubbling the airlock 2-3 times per second. This morning there's a nice brown yeast cake on top. Talk about a fast kickoff, fermenting away at 26C (78.8F).

Rev.

The beer I made with this yeast turned out really, really good.

I was "inspired" by Logsdon's Seizoen. I wasn't really attempting to clone it, but just thinking what I would do if I wanted to get a similar body and balance and flavor rather than trying to replicate what Logsdon does (which would probably be really hard). Anyway, this is what I did and I'm pretty happy with it, will make again. Only 1 hop (all whole leaf)

The recipe is called "Saisonco". I made it at work and got my coworkers involved. I work at a company called Blazonco, so Blazonco's saison should obviously be Saisonco.

7 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs 2 row
2 lbs red wheat malt
1 lbs cara-pils
1 lbs honey malt

1/3 oz Belma FWH (13.3 IBU)
1 whirlfloc 15 min
1 oz Belma 10 min (12.4 IBU)
2 oz Belma whirlpool (20.7 IBU)
64 oz pear juice (store bought) after whirlpool (once you're down to ~180F)

2 packages of Belle Saison rehydrated (no aeration)

I hit 14.5 brix after the boil and somewhere around 1 brix after primary which put it at roughly 7.25%. However, I (thankfully) undershot my OG by 2 brix on the mash and boil. I say "thankfully" because I (and beersmith) drastically underestimated the attenuation power of this yeast. Hitting 14.5 brix, the ABV came out pretty much exactly where I wanted it.

Fermented in our server room which is climate controlled to 75F ambient, but no other temp controls. After 3 weeks, I brought it home and cold crashed it for way too long (like 2 months - hey I was busy - but at least it was crystal clear by the time I kegged it!)

Despite Beersmith's calculation of 20.7 IBU for the whirlpool addition, it is in no way too bitter for a saison to style. In fact, I am super stoked at how well this turned out for my first go at a saison and I give all the credit to Belle Saison.

I love that this yeast will make a tasty beer at any temperature, and it's going to be my go-to for any summertime brewing. This past year (since last winter) I've done a "green brewing" (meaning I don't want to pay for the equipment or energy for temp control, but positioning it as "green" sounds much cooler) system of Belle Saison in the summer/fall (we don't really have fall in SoCal - it's basically worse than summer during the day, and summer at night), SafLager in the winter, and West Coast Ale (BRY-97) in the spring. So far it's worked out great.

I finally brewed two with it.

1.053 to 1.001
1.048 to 1.003

I had no unfermentable whatsoever.

So yeah, the manufacturer itself (and thus BS) really appears to have underrated attenuation.

Pitched Monday night. It is now Thursday night. No rehydration, 1 pack, 5.25 gallons of 1.071 wort at 80-86F. It's now at 1.004. 94% apparent attenuation... and counting?

I've gotten down to 1.001 so give it another day or two.

Back