Stuck Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finny13

Reaction score
Not sure if what I did was right, but this is what I did and got things going again.

Batch Sparging for the first time and got a stuck sparge with about 2 gallons run-off. Tried stirring grain and vorlaufing a few times and didn't get much run off before it stopped again.

So, I removed all the grain and some of the liquid that was still in the mash tun. Threw it in a bucket, cleaned the SS braid and the area near the ball valve on the inside of the mash tun to make sure everything was clear. Threw grain back in, added my first pot of sparge water and everything was free flowing.

I was a bit stubborn for a bit. Let it go for about an hour before i removed the grain and cleaned things out. Will this hurt me at all in terms of efficiency?

I had same prob and actually my efficency was in the 90s after. I just poured my keggle out into another 10 gal pot with a brew bag recipe was supposed to get 1.043 and I go 1.046!

Latest posts

Back