Taking a 5 gallon corny to a party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
By now most of you have seen my portable kegerator (Ok, here it is one more time).

Beer2Go-1.jpg

The problem I ran into was a 5 gallon corny sticks out by good 6 inches, but I wanted to take 5 gallons to the Texas Eggfest.

5gallonCornyCooler1.jpg

So what I did was pick up a cheap styrofoam cooler and cut a circle of of the bottom and placed it over the top of the keg and pushed it down till it set on the ice in the big cooler.

5gallonCornyCooler2.jpg

I then connected a picnic tap and my 16 gram CO2 charger to the keg. I wrapped the beer line around the keg and then added ice to the top cooler. The ice chilled the beer line as well.

5gallonCornyCooler3.jpg

I did not take a pic with the lid on, but the lid fits on and the two clips on the sides keep it from blowing away. It keeps the beer line cool and out of the sun. I wrapped a big towel around the gap between the big and small cooler.

My little $6 cooler allowed me to keep ALL of my 5 gallons of Pale Ale cool at the lake last weekend. A little funky looking, but with the lid on, at first glance, you would never think there was a keg in there.

It takes about 4 of the 16 gram CO2 cartridges to dispense 5 gallons of beer and I'm very impressed. I could have hauled a 5# cylinder out, but the convenience of using the little charger was WAY WORTH IT.

While this is a truly excellent idea for dispensing brew, the bigger story is the Big Green Egg. Never heard of it before, seems nice, but way pricey for a charcoal grill. :confused:

Is this just a Texas thing, or has anybody outside of Texas ever seen one?

Lake Travis ROCKS! I have a buddy there with a hot 502 in a 22 foot Scarab.

Henry Hill said:
While this is a truly excellent idea for dispensing brew, the bigger story is the Big Green Egg. Never heard of it before, seems nice, but way pricey for a charcoal grill. :confused:

Is this just a Texas thing, or has anybody outside of Texas ever seen one?

Lake Travis ROCKS! I have a buddy there with a hot 502 in a 22 foot Scarab.

The Big Green Egg is all over. They sold new eggs at the fest for $580 for the whole setup. Pricey is subjective when compared to some stainless gassers out there. You can smoke award winning ribs, brisket, & pork shoulder on it as well as grill steaks, chops, fish, and you can bake breads or pizzas too. Once you have cooked on one, ya never go back to another grill. It has a cult following. :D

I've known several people who own them and absolutely love them. In fact one of my friends loved it so much he bought a second one just to even out all the cooking between two grills and avoid wearing one out.

/shrugs

I have a charcoal grill with a cast iron grate and think after 2 years of cooking on it that the flavor is superior to any stainless gas or charcoal grill but I only paid $100 for mine and would never dream about $500+ ouch....

Stephen

Back