Conical Fermenter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddan7

Reaction score
What is the advantage of a conical fermenter with a drain on the bottom? It seems that when you drain the fermenter you will just get all the sediment into your secondary. I use an Ail Pail and siphon the beer out, leaving the sediment behind. Is this done on a conical fermenter too? If so, what's the purpose of the drain on the bottom?

Basically, the spigot on the bottom turns your conical from a primary into a secondary. You ferment in a conical exactly as you would in a carboy or a pail, then after fermentation is finished, you open up the spigot and pour out the trub. Now you have secondary conditioning taking place. Same thing as using, say a pail and a carboy, but easier since you don't have to transfer the beer, just pour out the trub.

The bottom drain in a conical is to remove the yeast from the container. All the yeast settles down into the bottom of the cone and so is easily removed. There is also another drain higher on the conical for taking samples and racking. This is above the yeast and enables you to pull off only clear beer.

Conicals will have two bulkheads. One on the bottom and one a little further up. The one on the bottom can be used to harvest yeast and clear out all trub essentially negating the need to transfer to a secondary. If your transferring just the beer you're using the higher up bulkhead.

Oh wow, I've been trying to figure that out, pretty fancy. Is there still a separate bottling tank?

Most people who can afford conicals probably also have the money for a kegging set up. ;)

I don't see any fundamental reason why you couldn't add a primer and bottle directly from the conical except that for a large conical it might perhaps be a lot of pressure coming out of the bottling wand...

Latest posts

Back