Is this normal? (Foamy Head in Fermenter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on my second batch and have a question. Siphoned to secondary (carboy) a couple days ago. At the top of the beer, a foamy head is forming. Is something wrong? I dry hopped it, so I was wondering if that might have something to do with it. Is something wrong or is this a normal process?

My first batch had a small ring at the top, not bubbly like this one, that cleared after a time. I'm afraid this time I might have a sanitation issue, though I sanitize like crazy.

Thanks for any help.

Perfectly normal. When you rack it kicks the yeast up a bit and it floats up to the top and occasionally restarts a little fermentation. Give it a couple weeks to settle and your second batch will be ready to bottle. Do you have your third in the primary yet?

No third in the primary yet. I'm going to come up with my own recipe, which requires a little more reading and note taking. (Yeah, I'm maddeningly thorough with some things).

My advice is to keep brewing until you have a nice inventory of beer in the house as you work on the "perfect" recipe. This will be much harder than it sounds, as the homebrewed stuff seems to keep flying off of MY shelves!

Sometimes a head will form after racking because fermentation was not complete or the temperature increases or the air pressure decreases. Nothing to worry about.

Back