Two Brewers Best Kits - Weaker than Expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManuteSwol

Reaction score
Thus far, I've brewed two beers from their kits, a robust porter, and most recently, a pumpkin spice porter.

In both beers, I've come up short on ABV. The robust called for 5.0-5.5%, it turned out in the upper 4s (I think). The pumpkin spice porter called for 5.0-6.0%, it looks like it's going to end up in the low-mid 4s.

Is this a common thing with these kits, or am I doing something wrong? I'm not adding too much water, as my wort has been less than 5 gallons each time. Any rookie mistakes I could be making?

Are you sure you are reading the hydrometer correctly (mostly in terms of using it in a sample that is at the temperature the unit is calibrated for)?

What were your OGs and FGs? I'd be inclined to say you are close enough.

Well, if these are extract kits there should be no problem with obtaining the estimated ABV. You shouldn't have to "think" what the ABV turned out at, it is measured. Have you taken gravity readings?

If they are all grain kits, that is a whole nother kettle of fish that would require details about your procedures.

Well, if these are extract kits there should be no problem with obtaining the estimated ABV.

I disagree with that assessment. I did a handful of brewers best kits and was NEVER able to attenuate down as far as they assume in the ABV calculations. You should always hit the OG (and I did), but the FG is highly dependent on what the yeast feel like doing in that given batch. Mine all stopped at between 1.018 and 1.020 no matter what I did.

Please let us know if it is extract, partial mash, or all grain.

The most common problem with extract/partial mash kits regarding the OG reading, is that people tend to not stir enough after topping off with water to reach 5 gallon. As a consequence, the wort with a higher gravity is sitting at the bottom of the fermenter, and the OG that they are reading is lower. You really need to stir a lot, with a long spoon that goes to the bottom.

Of course, if you do a full boil, this would not apply.

I disagree with that assessment. I did a handful of brewers best kits and was NEVER able to attenuate down as far as they assume in the ABV calculations. You should always hit the OG (and I did), but the FG is highly dependent on what the yeast feel like doing in that given batch. Mine all stopped at between 1.018 and 1.020 no matter what I did.

Was it partial mash ? if your mash temperature is too high, resulting sugars will not be as fermentable. Also, yeast can be a problem if:
* it is too old
* wort is not aerated enough to add oxygen.
* stuck fermentation due to temperature to low or abrupt changes of temperature.

You may know all this, but it might be good to remind other brewers how to solve the same issue you had.

Please let us know if it is extract, partial mash, or all grain.

The most common problem with extract/partial mash kits regarding the OG reading, is that people tend to not stir enough after topping off with water to reach 5 gallon. As a consequence, the wort with a higher gravity is sitting at the bottom of the fermenter, and the OG that they are reading is lower. You really need to stir a lot, with a long spoon that goes to the bottom.

Of course, if you do a full boil, this would not apply.

Extract.

I stirred, but perhaps not as vigorously and as thoroughly as I should have... Though I did measure, then stir, then re-measured, and I did get a fair drop.

Part of me wonders if I did not stir enough during the boil process, thus causing some of the malt to stick to the sides of the brewpot? My OG (yes I normalized to temp) was low by about 0.007 in comparison to the middle of the expected OG range...

In my first batch, my OG and FG were awfully low, I believe both were below the targeted ranges. I believe my FG got down to about 1.013.

In this second my OG was low, but closer to the range.. however my FG is above the range.

I just recently got into brewing and the first kit I did was the Brewer's Best Pumpkin Spice Porter. I was able to achieve the OG and FG ranges spot on. I was told by the guys at the shop to take the pot off of the heat before adding the extract to make sure none of it got scorched and stuck to the bottom or sides. So, I removed the pot from the heat and added the extract very slowly and stirred vigorously as I added it.

As a side question, how did it turn out for you taste wise? After 3 weeks in the bottle mine tastes like clove. Nothing but clove. There was way too much spice in that kit. Being my first brew I just blindly followed the instructions assuming it would be the perfect amount of spice. I will be much wiser in the future and go with my gut.

I made two of these kits when I first started brewing. Both were good but low on ABV. These kits are just the bare minimum IMO. They are expensive, too.

I just recently got into brewing and the first kit I did was the Brewer's Best Pumpkin Spice Porter. I was able to achieve the OG and FG ranges spot on. I was told by the guys at the shop to take the pot off of the heat before adding the extract to make sure none of it got scorched and stuck to the bottom or sides. So, I removed the pot from the heat and added the extract very slowly and stirred vigorously as I added it.

As a side question, how did it turn out for you taste wise? After 3 weeks in the bottle mine tastes like clove. Nothing but clove. There was way too much spice in that kit. Being my first brew I just blindly followed the instructions assuming it would be the perfect amount of spice. I will be much wiser in the future and go with my gut.

I'm just getting ready to bottle this weekend, but my FG has been stuck for a few days, so I've essentially deemed it has done.. but man, it wreaks of pumpkin,clove,etc.

I recently brewed a BB red ale that had a projected OG of 1.048-1.052... My OG was1.048. The projected FG was 1.010-1.014 and my FG was 1.004.

I'm just getting ready to bottle this weekend, but my FG has been stuck for a few days, so I've essentially deemed it has done.. but man, it wreaks of pumpkin,clove,etc.

Well let me know how it tastes. I'm just trying to determine if it was too much spice or if I messed something up somewhere along the line that brought out such a strong clove flavor. Hopefully it will just mellow out some more with time.

Also, get your fermenter soaking in water as soon as you transfer. It took me a while to get that smell out of it.

I have brewed 2 that have fallen short as well Imperial pale ale and Oktoberfest. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. i guess it very well could be temps though

Well let me know how it tastes. I'm just trying to determine if it was too much spice or if I messed something up somewhere along the line that brought out such a strong clove flavor. Hopefully it will just mellow out some more with time.

Also, get your fermenter soaking in water as soon as you transfer. It took me a while to get that smell out of it.

Just tasted my first. I got the strong clove flavor too. Smells great though.

Back