OG too high for yeast - What yeast to bottle with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheech1006

Reaction score
I am a week into fermenting an RIS with OG = 1.136. Pitched four packs of Wyeast Scottish Ale (1728) and blew the lid off my fermenter. That prompted me to do some more research and I found that 1728's tolerance is only 12%, attenuation 69-73%. Seems unlikely that I will get down to my target gravity of 1.034 because this would be about 13.5% ABV. Even if I do get the gravity down that low, I doubt I have a shot at carbonating this beer with 1728, even if I pitch fresh.

On the other hand, if I were to pitch a fresh vial of yeast with higher tolerance/attenuation such as White Labs WLP001, don't I risk bottle bombing due to remaining fermentables? Prime/Don't prime? Different yeast? What do I do?

Not sure what you should do, but I'm thinking of brewing an RIS myself, so I'm curious of the answer.

There have been instances where the McEwans yeasts (1728, wlp028) have gone past 16% which doesn't surprise me. It cut it's teeth on wee heavies from way back, there were/are some 20 odd strains in the culture. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it as long as they're healthy and it sounds like they are, see where it takes you and go from there.

Edit: You could probably add a little yeast nutrient to be certain.

Thanks for the response, COLObrewer. Seems like I might manage target final. What about bottling? Fresh yeast seems like a must right? But use same yeast strain or something more like wlp001?

Back