question about keggle and teflon tape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootvonRoot

Reaction score
so i have a converted keg (keggle) that's my brew kettle - i used teflon tape to waterproof the bulkhead ... is it ok to use teflon tape on the kettle's bulkhead that's above a burner like that or should i use something sturdier to waterproof the bulkhead?

I will say though, that ever since I started drinking the beer thats been in contact with teflon tape, I've been saving TONS of money on toilet paper...

Depending on the quality and manufacture of the tape there is a wide range of operating temps. One could be from -240*C to 260*C while another can withstand 370*C. Home Depot and Ace Hardware products I would bet operates at the lower end of the temp scale. Ever hear of "Made in China" yes the country with super high quality products made for us sold in the U.S.of A at these hardware stores? Or is that the U.S. of C? China loaned us, U.S. of A. something like 470 or 580 with a "B" Billion dollars with intrest. We owe 2.3 with a "T" Trillion from loans with intrest to other countries around the world. My apologies I went off a bit, not to offend just defend what I call home.

I think you need to relax and have a homebrew....:mug:

Also, I happen to like chinese food! I even named a cat General Tso

You sure don't want a pipe dope sealant like Rector Seal with teflon it smells and tastes bad for a very long time on copper slip to thread water adapter fittings.
My friend used it on his welded coupling keggles. When heated the HLT water smelled of teflon sealant. We had to take everything apart and use Berrymann's B-12 carburetor spray cleaner then Brake Clean and rubbing alcohol. Started over with teflon tape, alls well. You can tighten too much and split a fitting using teflon tape besides get the strings of it out of the fittings that get cut off when threading tight.

I didn't mean to offend just state what I have seen in product quality and where most the materials are coming from. I agree you don't mix as this starts instant problems or hurt feelings without adding religion then ya have a real problem with friends that blows everything out the window. Sorry I didn't believe people were this sensitive about what I posted. After spending 8 1/2 months working in China on a powerplant project I must have a different view and opinion than others on this forum seeing that country first hand.
Cheers, cold homebrew bier is on me if you were at my house.

How come when guys offer up the free beer they never tell us where they live? :mug:

I stated on this forum i'm a "islander", which one and were that is the question?
At this time everything's empty with the whole brewing system and keggles sold. I was planning on another keggle brewing upgrade build until this back injury became an overpowered intense 24/7 pain problem. I'm going thru MRI's PET, pain management doctors, ortho surgeons, spinal injections, heavy pain meds plus looking for answers and pain relief. Heck the pain has me up all night again it's 6:15 am I have not been to bed tonight. Rambling in pain sorry not your problem.

Never to fear, I wasn't offended either -just a concerned beertizen not wanting to see this devolve.
Islander: Whoa, bad luck dude! Back pain is tough to deal with -and even tougher to fix. Hope you can get something done that works for you! Must be hell not feeling up to brewing. I know how I'd feel -I just love coming home after a long shift, and pulling on the tap handle.

On meds no bier allowed for months.

I'm just a little frustrated, in pain and bitter being on Percocets the last 2 1/2 years, can't even lift a empty pony keg off the ground. From a industrial union electrician to a house slug. I'm especially mad after the ortho spine doctor sent me to a ortho hip doctor, hip doctor tells me "they're jerking you around you definitly have a lower spine and pelvis problem". Bulging discs, many crushed vertebra with fractures plus spinal stenosis showing up on the X-rays and MRI's. I'm fighting for SSD with a attorney on my side for over 3 1/2 years living out of bank accounts. The wife helps me slide out of bed and up in the mornings, went to bed at 6:08 AM this morning due to pain. Can't drive as every vehicle is a stick, bad clutch leg. This morning at 11:00 AM our local Congressman came to town, I was speaker number 15, he never got to me in 1 1/2 hours of questions with over 90 people on the question list. He didn't pick in the order we signed in then splits. I wanted to as him why I have to wait this long for a SSD court hearing date as no date has been set yet? Wife with two kids in high school plus mounting bills. Kegs, Tig, Mig and Bridgeport sit idle as well me as the ortho spine doctor does not believe I need surgery just pills and a pain management person. I want my life back so looking for a third opinion, this at the Daily City Spine Institute. The first by a spinal surgeon with 11 pages of all the spine damage I have in his report and SSD still denied me. The system sucks! Hell my 9 motorcyles are calling for me to enter in shows again. Nuff BSN about my POS life that changed at 49 big time.

The worse part I sold my old brewing equipment thinking about another build this time a HERM's system. In the mean time i'll keep collecting ideas, corny's (4 more today from CHI Company) and kegs as my fingers can still half azz type.

Back to my first reply on teflon tape, there is a wide temperature operating range on tapes out there just by different manufactures and I bet quality of these tapes also are different.
Read and and pick the maximum temp you can find before buying. Quality materials are better than redoing a plumbing project twice.
I'll shut up now and take my meds so I can feel like those in the movie "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".

Back