My first all grain brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revrand65

Reaction score
Well i did my first all grain brew last friday and everything went great took about 4 hours from start to finish . i enjoyed the whole ritual...i made a brown ale..i'm getting ready to rack to secondary in a few minutes..i decided to buy one of those sparge arms from phils mashing and those things are great!!i even managed to put 12 lbs of grain into a 5 gal round cooler..a little close but all went well.i need to make a 3 level set up though..useing the washing machine a chair and several phone books kind of sucks...i'm gonna use some old metal milk crates and stack them for the next time..which will probably be this weekend..iv'e got 6 kegs and they are getting really low...i know this is off subject but damn is this weather gonna straighten up .my 3 nugget hops rhizomes came in a week ago and they sat in the fridge for 3 days so i decided to put them in pots till the ground thaws out ohio weather sucks it was 70 here in dayton a couple weeks ago and it was snowing a few days back..so much for the idea of global warming...:mug:

:off: I really get a kick out of the global warming debate. When it's 75f in NYC in January, everyone's all "you SEE!?". But when it snows in Virginia in April, they say "so much for global warming!". Hehehe. :D

Sorry, anyway...congrats on going AG. I've got 5 batches under my belt so far. Tons of PM's, but only 5 AG's. It's fun to know that it all came from grains!

Well, that's the problem with the general public. They're so black and white about things. Of course, scientists will explain that the effects of global warming don't manifest only in a general temperature rise, but starts screwing with typical seasonal weather patterns because of changes in the jet stream, etc. I don't claim to understand it all, but I'm aware that you can't jump to conclusions. Sorry, way off topic. Long live all grain brewing !

revrand65 said:
Well i did my first all grain brew last friday and everything went great took about 4 hours from start to finish . i enjoyed the whole ritual...i made a brown ale..i'm getting ready to rack to secondary in a few minutes..i decided to buy one of those sparge arms from phils mashing and those things are great!!i even managed to put 12 lbs of grain into a 5 gal round cooler..a little close but all went well.i need to make a 3 level set up though..useing the washing machine a chair and several phone books kind of sucks...i'm gonna use some old metal milk crates and stack them for the next time..which will probably be this weekend..iv'e got 6 kegs and they are getting really low...i know this is off subject but damn is this weather gonna straighten up .my 3 nugget hops rhizomes came in a week ago and they sat in the fridge for 3 days so i decided to put them in pots till the ground thaws out ohio weather sucks it was 70 here in dayton a couple weeks ago and it was snowing a few days back..so much for the idea of global warming...:mug:
Fitting 12 lbs in a 5 gal cooler is a little tight, glad it all worked out for you.
But you have nothing to complain about as far as weather. We got 2ft of snow over the weekend after having 80F temps last Tuesday. The rain today will probably melt the last of the snow but it will be at least another week before the ground is dry enough to plant.
Craig

Back