Mother's Day Citrus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancness

Reaction score
Well, my mother is out of town today so I am making a beer that I think she would like. Of course I'll be drinking most of it, but I think she will like the idea that I made a beer for her.

I am making her a Pale Ale and I want the citrus flavor to be dominant in this beer.

TYPE: All Grain
Method: BIAB
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.05
Estimated Color: ?
Estimated IBU: 60 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
8 lb Pale Briess 2-Row
1 lb Briess Caramel 10L
1 lb Dingemans Aromatic

1 oz Amarillo [7.2%] (60 min) Hops 32.4 IBU
1 oz Citra [12.3%] (15 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
1 oz Bitter Orange Peel (15 min)

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale (1L starter)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lb.

Mash 2qt/lb. @ 150F for 1 hour. Sparge with remaining water to acheive 7 gallons pre-boil.

I am a little unsure of my hop addition schedule. 60 IBU seems like a little over-bitter for a 1.05 OG Pale Ale. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Happy Brewing!

Where do you get 60 IBU´s from?
Does the Orange peal add to it as well?
I only get about 45 from the hops you got and that is just right for my IPA taste

Oops! You are right. I accidentally put 60 minutes for both hop additions in my calculator. Editing the Citra to a 15 minute boil gives me 47 IBUs.

Thanks.

Personally, divide half the Amarillo between 60 minutes and put the rest in with the Citra. And zest a few fresh oranges in place of some of the orange peel.

I would definitely sub the bitter orange peel for an ounce or two of fresh orange zest (and perhaps the juice of a half or one orange that you zested).
The orange peel will definitely add some bitterness, so when you (or if you) zest the oranges, avoid the white part of the peel.

Back