Cocoa Powder - Nibs - Grain ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
well I've searched and read until my eyes are about to bleed.. I want to make a good chocolate porter or stout.. I came across this recipe and planned on trying it...

Mint Chocolate Porter

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.31 %
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
0.70 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Mint (Secondary 5.0 min) Misc
8.0 oz Cocoa Powder (3.0 SRM) Sugar 4.08 %
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

I know I've drank porters and stouts that have a nice chocolate flavor (no coffee) and it was done WITHOUT any cocoa, nibs or extract..

So my question is.. if I were to omit the cocoa powder in this recipe, what changes in the grain would give me a nice chocolate flavor (no coffee) with a nice balance of hops.. since I love my IPA's..

Thanks for any suggestions!

First off...that recipe seems to have a TON of roasted barley. If you don't want coffee flavor, then you need to omit that entirely. That looks like more of a stout recipe to me. Up the chocolate to around .75-1lb. and you'll be fine.

This is personal preference though. I never put more than 3-5oz's of Roasted Barley into any recipe.

Latest posts

Back