Time to replace pails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjp68

Reaction score
I recently brewed two 5 gallon batches on the same day using standard techniques that have worked in the past. Everything not on the hot side of the process was cleaned with One Step and sanitized with Star San. Both fermentations (one with a Ringwood Ale starter, one with US-05) took off immediately and strong at about 71F, a little warm but not unusual for me in August.

After two weeks in primary, two weeks in secondary and one week in a keg at 38F, I think I have two drain pours. I tasted at each step and hoped for improvement, but the aren't drinkable at this point.

The Ringwood Ale beer has an overpowering phenolic, band aid aroma. The US-05, which is a cream ale recipe that used Rahr 2 row as the base malt. It is very tart and cidery.

I've been through this in my head a hundred times. I've used both strains successfully in the past at the same temperatures and at about the same pitching rate. The only thing I can figure is that the two ale pails I used for primary must have some nasty stuff that I didn't get during the clean/sanitize process, which raises the question. How often do you replace your buckets? I've done between ten and fifteen batches in mine.

These never got better. The cream ale is quite possibly the foulest thing I've ever tasted. I'm pouring both of them on the garden and writing off the first two (of 47 batches) drain pours of my "career".

I never really figured out what I did on these batches. I've just replaced hoses and doubled down on sanitization and I haven't had a problem since. Basically, I just added a step. Now after Starsan, I rinse the pails with boiling water.

Latest posts

Back