Is there a list of Water profiles for different styles of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do anyone know if there is a more comprehensive list of water profiles for different styles of beer?

John has this, which lists some major ones:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Balancing the Malts and Minerals

I was looking for more specifics such as a west coast pale ale for example.

I am new to the water adjustment and want to start off right so if there is not some sort of master list, does anyone have a good suggestion for the levels of a pale ale?

The more I read it comes down to the ratio between Chloride and Sulfate and just keeping the others within good brewing ranges like:

ca 50-150

mg 10-30

HCO3 0-50 for pale 50-150 for amber colored, toasted malt beers, 150-250 ppm for dark, roasted malt beers.

na 0-150

so4 50-150 ppm for normally bitter beers, 150-350 ppm for very bitter beers

cl 0-250

So I think good levels for a pale ale to bring out some of the bitterness would be

ca - 75
mg 20
hco3 50
na 50
so4 150
cl 50

What do you think?

Take a listen over at the brewing network for the brew strong
series on brewing water. Its a long listen (4 part series) but worth it if you
want to fine tune your process and tweak the water profile to the style that your brewing.

Take a listen over at the brewing network for the brew strong
series on brewing water. Its a long listen (4 part series) but worth it if you
want to fine tune your process and tweak the water profile to the style that your brewing.

Yep, I have listened to all 4 already, great info, but the big thing I got out of it was the CL to so4 ratio along with the RA.

Latest posts

Back