Oak chips. What should i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRR_BrewCo

Reaction score
So I went to the local homebrew shop today to buy some yeast for an esb I am making today. I saw a bag of oak chips and couldnt resist. I basically have two questions. First, how do I sanitize the oak before I put it in the secondary fermenter? Would soaking it in burbon work or should I soak in sanitizer? Second, what would be the better beer to oak? I'm doing the esb and a wee heavy back to back. I was thinkin about oaking the wee heavy due to it being a darker beer and those are the only types of beer I've had oaked. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

You could oak both of them. If you don't want the bourbon flavor,you can soak 2-3oz of chips in 3-4 jiggers of plain vodka. Otherwise use like amounts of bourbon. Some just boil them in a little water for 10-15 minutes.
Either way,use the liquid in secondary as well. Just as the chips soak UP flavor/liquid,they also get the resins soaked OUT of them into the liquid. I pour all through a hop sack into secondary,tie off the hop sack of chips,& drop it in. No tonsel stickers floating in the beer that way. I found that chips work faster than cubes. 8 days was plenty.

Thanks for the advice! I will be sure to sample often and I'll plan on only leaving them in for a week.

I would soak the oak in scotch for the wee heavey, keep it scottish all the way around. But bourbon works for just about everything delicously dark and vodka for a flavorless base.

I am still thinking some scotch with that oak my friend ;)

Scotch would def be good for the wee heavy. But shots of 12 year old scotch worked pretty good as well :drunk::D. Anyway,I used a shot glass to sample for oaking level. It's just enough to taste the progress.

The thought of soaking in scotch did occur to me, I may have to grab a cheapish bottle and go that route!

Using quality liquor makes for better flavor. You def get out what you put in. A 12 year old scotch could be had by the pint bottle for less money. especially since you're only using 3 or 4 jiggers (a jigger is 1.5oz),you'll have enough left for "other" uses.
I used an 8 year old bourbon for my Whiskely Ale, Beam's Black.

The thought of soaking in scotch did occur to me, I may have to grab a cheapish bottle and go that route!

Only use cheap when your filling airlocks with vodka! Do you like scotch? Get something you would enjoy drinking because youre going to be drinking it.

In my personal opinion cheap scotch is to harsh except for lauders but I would get a smaller bottle of top shelf stuff.

I was just thinking cheap would be better in terms of how when you cook with alcohol, you tend to not use the goo stuff. But I guess since I'm technically not cooking the scotch, a top shelf one should be the way to go. Thanks again for all the advice! I have half a bottle of Macallan 12 that I'll be sure to hold onto a few jiggers!

Yup. 3-4 jiggers of that 12 with 3oz of chips should do it. I soak them in an airtight container in the fridge during the whole ferment time. Gives the chips plenty of time to work their magic.

Yeah, I think soaking them is the best way. I soaked my chips that came from a woodford reserve barrel, IN woodford reserve bourbon.

Delicious. Can't wait for it to finish off.

Hi Guys,

Unless you really want to play around with the extra flavour of the whisky I wouldn't bother soaking the chips. If the chips are in a sealed packet they are good to go. Just sprinkle them in at the time of ferment (right before your add the yeast). I have a 'house favourite IPA' that I have made several times that has an addition of oak chips for an authentic flavour. I also use oak chips in the same way for making wine (as per kit instructions) and has always been flawless.

Sometimes simple is better!:fro:

Thats a pretty good way to get an infection. Adding unsanitized wood chips before fermentation takes place, isn't a great idea.

Just because they are sealed, doesn't mean they are sanitary.

I've done the 10 minute boil and add to secondary for a week. Worked just fine for my IPA.

I wet the oak cubes with tap water and then nuke (microwave) for a couple minutes. Once they are steaming I dump them right into the Bourbon I am going to use and allow them to soak for a week or two in a sealed container in the fridge.

I'm a Scotch fan but don't much care for the flavor it adds when mixed with oak and beer. Bourbon all the way.

I wet the oak cubes with tap water and then nuke (microwave) for a couple minutes. Once they are steaming I dump them right into the Bourbon I am going to use and allow them to soak for a week or two in a sealed container in the fridge.

Can you say overkill ;)

Steamed and Sterilized!

Thats a pretty good way to get an infection. Adding unsanitized wood chips before fermentation takes place, isn't a great idea.

Just because they are sealed, doesn't mean they are sanitary.

I would have to say that the oak chips have as much risk to infect as the late hops additions that we all make to our brews. No one is suggesting to soak the hops in whisky. Hey wait, maybe we're on to somthing.:ban:

Like I said before. I have made too many batches of beer/wine using the sprinkle dry @ ferment without a problem to even worry in the slightest.:mug:

The difference is that hops are astringent. They help preserve the beer. Wood generaly doesn't have that quality when added to beer. So it's good insurance to boil them for a few minutes or use liquor To kill any nasties that may be in the wood.

In addition to sanitizing, steaming or boiling oak chips is a good way to get some of that woody character out of it so the tannins and more desirable flavors come through.

Hey Apache,

There's a good reason for steaming or boiling the chips. More flavour!

I had thought I`d respond by saying that I would continue my sprinkle dry method until disaster strikes (probably never;)) and report my findings to you all as soon as it happens. All for the sake of research!

Now, I might try steaming the chips to see if it does improve the flavour next time. For the sake of research of course!:mug:

Back