Long boring thread...I have issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post ahead, but I need help. I'm a neurotic homebrewer with a problem.

I've posted other threads about this problem, but thought if I posted my entire process in detail, someone might be bored enough to read it and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The problem:

Any beer I brew with a hoppy profile turns out nasty. I would describe the off taste as being cabbagey and vegetal. I never had a problem brewing hoppy beers w/ extract, but as soon as I switched to AG, I can't seem to even brew a decent pale ale. My "darker" malt forward brews are good and even great...but anything from my Black IPAs to my simple ambers all have the same stale vegetal taste.

The process:

1) I always use a yeast starter...prepared anywhere from 2-4 days prior to brew day. I use light malt extract and boiled tap water for my starters. Depending on how many days I give myself, I either pitch the yeast at high krausen or put the fermented starter in the fridge for a day and take it out to warm to room temp on brew day. I do wash my yeast and have used strains up to 3 gens old, but never older. I have had a bad batch with fresh yeast and all generations after, so I don't think my yeast is bad...

2) I start the day by cleaning everything with PBW - kettle, thermometer, mash paddle, mash tun, wort chiller, water/wort bucket, and fermentor (sometimes bucket, sometimes glass carboy). I let some of this solution drain through the ball valve of my MLT. I rinse everything after. Then I fill the fermentor with 1 oz starsan and 5 gallons of tap water and let sit until I transfer the wort.

3) I begin to heat my strike water in the brew kettle using a propane burner stand. My kettle is a cheap stainless steel kettle that I've used since my first batch. Not great - it's a bit thin...but definitely stainless steel. I've used both tap water and bottled water for brewing. I have never filtered my water or used RO/distilled water. My most recent batch was using bottled spring water with a ph stabilizer. Once heated to the proper temp, I pour the water from my kettle into the mash tun. My mash tun is an old converted igloo cooler. It's definitely seen better days and I used it for a great many things prior to it's current incarnation as a mash tun. I let the water sit and heat the mash tun for maybe 5-10 mins.

4) Then I dough in...always take my time doing this...never any dough balls. I typically mash for anywhere from 45-60 mins. Then I start to heat my sparge water...usually the same water profile as the strike water - either tap water or bottled spring water. Then I vorlauf using a plastic pitcher. The ball valve on my MLT is brass - no pre-treatment. I have a short piece of food grade tubing that helps to get the wort into my bucket without splashing. Once clear, I let the first runnings collect into a bucket. The bucket that it drains into was washed w/ PBW and rinsed. I use this bucket to transfer the drained wort into my kettle. But at this point the sparge water is still heating up. Once the first runnings are collected, they sit in this bucket until the sparge water is poured into the MLT. Once the sparge water is removed from the kettle, I pour the first runnings in and begin to heat slowly. I stir the grains a bit and let it sit for another 15 mins.

5) I vorlauf again and drain into the same bucket. I add it to the wort that's already started to heat. Usually doesn't take too much longer for the boil to begin. Since the kettle is so small, I have to avoid boilovers by removing the kettle when the foam rises. Once first boil is achieved, I remove from heat, add first hop addition. I add remaining hop additions per recipe. I boil for an hour - I would call it an solid rolling boil..more than soft. I drop my homemade wort chiller into the wort with about 15 mins remaining. I typically lose my boil at this point...but it starts up again within 1 min or 2. This wort chiller is made out of copper by my father in law. There are some welds on it that have slowly turned green as I've brewed more batches. I don;t know what he used to weld these areas.

6) At flamout, I start to cool by running water through the chiller via garden hose. Then once the temp hits 120 or so, I recirculate water from an ice bath using a pond pump to speed things up. I would estimate that it takes me an average of about 30 mins to cool to proper yeast-pitching temps. At this time, I empty my fermentor of the starsan solution. Once the temp hits 65 or so, I transfer the wort to the fermentor and shake/rock a bit to oxygenate.

7) I decant the yeast starter, swirl and dump it in. I put on the airlock and fill with some starsan solution. Ferments in my basement - ambient temps around 63 or so. After a few gravity readings tell me that fermentation has completed, I add dry hops in a new muslin bag that I've sprayed with starsan solution. After 10 days of dry-hopping, I keg. Then I slowly force carb at 10 PSI in my fridge.

I always clean my keg lines and kegs using PBW followed by a rinse then some starsan.

Why do my hoppy beers taste like crap??!??? Anything jump out to anyone?

Talk about the hops. What hops are you using? What is your hop schedule? How are your hops stored? Your process seems pretty solid so I would look at ingredients.

I've used both tap water and bottled water for brewing. I have never filtered my water or used RO/distilled water. My most recent batch was using bottled spring water with a ph stabilizer.

If you're using a good amount of tap water I'd suggest having it tested by sending a sample to Ward Labs.

I buy in bulk and vacuum seal and store in my freezer. I'd say the ones I've been using are between 8-12 months by now.

I'm brewing a batch today and using fresh(er) hops - about 3 months old - same storage. I'm going to split three ways. No DH in one. 5 day DH in another and the normal 10 day DH in the third.

I'm thinking it's the hops...we'll see.

From what I understand, pH stabilizer adds sodium, which can affect flavor. Also it adds alkalinity, which will neutralize the acidity created in the mash, which could cause your mash pH to be too high. You could be getting some tannin extraction.

If your dark beers are good, this could be the issue, dark malts have more ability to neutralize alkalinity. Has a water profile shown that you need the pH stabilizer? I'd drop that and see how your light beers turnsh out.

Also do you de chlorinate your water?

cut the dry hopping by 5 days?

i thought kinda the same thing, but i regularly dry hop for 7-10 days with nothing but amazing hop aroma to show for it.

OP, are you using whole hops or pellets? whole hopes don't store as well as pellets. also, where are you getting your hops from? if you're not already, you could try getting your hops from a retailer that has a high turnover and stores hops properly. (the big 3 use LD Carlson or HopUnion hops in light resistant, vacuum sealed bags kept in freezers).
as another poster stated, are you boiling with the lid off? or boiling long enough? with AG brews, you need to watch out for DMS (which wouldn't show up as much in darker beers). with extract, the DMS has been boiled out of the extract, but with PM or all grain, you need to boil with the lid off and for a long enough period to get the DMS out of the wort.

Are you boiling with the lid to your kettle on?

Nope. I thought DMS too, but I don't use my kettle lid...nor do I think the wort cools too slowly. And I would call my boil a vigorous rolling boil

Also do you de chlorinate your water?

No, I don't. I just read up on this process though and might give it a shot in my next brew day...if I'm still having this issue.

According to a suggestion by Yooper (awesome member by the way), I'm in the middle of a brew day right now. I'm using RO water with a teaspoon of calcium chloride in the mash.

Should I be using any for sparging?

i thought kinda the same thing, but i regularly dry hop for 7-10 days with nothing but amazing hop aroma to show for it.

OP, are you using whole hops or pellets? whole hopes don't store as well as pellets. also, where are you getting your hops from? if you're not already, you could try getting your hops from a retailer that has a high turnover and stores hops properly. (the big 3 use LD Carlson or HopUnion hops in light resistant, vacuum sealed bags kept in freezers).
as another poster stated, are you boiling with the lid off? or boiling long enough? with AG brews, you need to watch out for DMS (which wouldn't show up as much in darker beers). with extract, the DMS has been boiled out of the extract, but with PM or all grain, you need to boil with the lid off and for a long enough period to get the DMS out of the wort.

I use pellet hops and I get my hops from Farmhouse Brew Supply. They come in vacuum sealed light resistant bags.

Additionally, I get barely ANY aroma in any of these beers...even with a 10 day dry hop. I dry hop rigt in the primary by the way...

I use pellet hops and I get my hops from Farmhouse Brew Supply. They come in vacuum sealed light resistant bags.

Additionally, I get barely ANY aroma in any of these beers...even with a 10 day dry hop. I dry hop rigt in the primary by the way...

what temps do you dry hop at? if it's really cool, you won't get much aroma in ten days. if you dry hop at fermentation temps or a bit warmer, how much hops do you dry hop with? even with a small amount, at room temps you should be getting some nice aroma after a week.

what temps do you dry hop at? if it's really cool, you won't get much aroma in ten days. if you dry hop at fermentation temps or a bit warmer, how much hops do you dry hop with? even with a small amount, at room temps you should be getting some nice aroma after a week.

I dry hop at about 65 or so...with anywhere from 1-2.5 oz per 5.5 gallon batch. Another variable could be head space - I use a 7 gallon carboy so I don't have to mess around with blow offs...should I probably be transferring to a smaller secondary vessel to reduce headspace?

I dry hop at about 65 or so...with anywhere from 1-2.5 oz per 5.5 gallon batch. Another variable could be head space - I use a 7 gallon carboy so I don't have to mess around with blow offs...should I probably be transferring to a smaller secondary vessel to reduce headspace?

i always dry hop in secondary (carboy size based on batch size to limit headspace) or in keg. it could be a staling issue since there's so much headspace after fermentation. you could try dry hopping is a vessel with little to no headspace.
another thing is DMS, are you boiling long enough with the lid off to get the DMS out?

It certainly sounds like DMS. According to the Siebel tasting kit, DMS can also be caused by contamination.

Hey Kbuzz,

When I read your thread, the first thing that came to mind was DMS. In a listing of potential off flavors in beer, I found this discription of DMS which may apply to your problem. This is the last sentence.

"When caused by a bacterial infection. DMS has a more rancid character, more like cooked cabbage than corn. It is the result of poor sanitation. Repitching the yeast from an infected batch will perpetate the problem."

Suggest next batch using some dry yeast. If this cures the problem dump all your old yeast. Review yeast washing and sanitation procedures.

Hope this helps you out.

Hey Kbuzz,

When I read your thread, the first thing that came to mind was DMS. In a listing of potential off flavors in beer, I found this discription of DMS which may apply to your problem. This is the last sentence.

"When caused by a bacterial infection. DMS has a more rancid character, more like cooked cabbage than corn. It is the result of poor sanitation. Repitching the yeast from an infected batch will perpetate the problem."

Suggest next batch using some dry yeast. If this cures the problem dump all your old yeast. Review yeast washing and sanitation procedures.

Hope this helps you out.

You know...the more I thought about everything, the more I began to think this could be the culprit.

Coincidentally, I did pitch some rehydrated US-05 in this latest batch...not on purpose, just happened to be what I had. I'm also going to dry hop in a smaller secondary vessel w/ little headspace.

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I used the same flask to rehydrate as I used for other starters with washed yeast. I always clean and sanitize it before use...but still.

Thanks all for helping out here...these things are just so damn frustrating.

For those who might search this out in the future...my problem was a bad bunch of washed yeast.

I got an extract kit from my sister-in-law as an anniversary gift in November. I'm an AG brewer, but her heart was in the right place. I might have overdone it when thanking her, cause she sent me the same kit for Christmas. The kits didn't come with yeast. The one back in November, I used dry yeast...the one I just got finished kegging from Christmas, I used my washed yeast. Every single ingredient in both batches was exactly the same except the yeast.

The one I just kegged had my off taste! Bleh - dumped!

Bad yeast...sheesh...that's such an easy fix compared to everything else. Dumped all I had left and am starting from scratch.

Latest posts

Back