Good grief, another "I'll never look back post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alepale101

Reaction score
Five Mr. Beers and five unhoped extract beers, that were all drinkable, but none of them delicious, had left me discouraged and about ready to throw in the towel. I figured that I just could not make an extract beer that didn't taste "homemade." I was not making another LME beer. Lacking all confidence and very disappointed, I was not going to spend the money for an all grain set up. Still, I really wanted to make just one good beer that I could proudly share. I should have titled this post, "All Grain for $5.50". I bought a five gal. rubber made cooler for $3.00 at a garage sale and lined it with a $2.50 paint strainer bag to create a mashtun. I mashed ten pounds of grain and poured the resulting four gal. of wort in the fermenter. I cooled with a gal. block of distilled ice. Six weeks later I had family members asking for seconds even though the fridge was stocked with craft beer. The beer, an alt, was so much better than my LME efforts. I can hardly wait for my all grain cream ale to finish. That there are much better setups is no doubt, but the point is that all grain can be made cheaply. I used our electric range and a 4 gal. pot and a 3 gal. pot. No trouble boiling when two burners can be utilized. Since the cost of the grain is cheaper than extract and one doesn't have to lift a heavy leaking bag out of a pot, this method of brewing can be easily done in nearly any kitchen. That said, I know that it is not the best method; but it will do me for now.

Glad to see your eyes are open now. :)

I had a similar experience when I switched to BIAB. Quite a revelation.

Five Mr. Beers and five unhoped extract beers, that were all drinkable, but none of them delicious, had left me discouraged and about ready to throw in the towel. I figured that I just could not make an extract beer that didn't taste "homemade." I was not making another LME beer. Lacking all confidence and very disappointed, I was not going to spend the money for an all grain set up. Still, I really wanted to make just one good beer that I could proudly share. I should have titled this post, "All Grain for $5.50". I bought a five gal. rubber made cooler for $3.00 at a garage sale and lined it with a $2.50 paint strainer bag to create a mashtun. I mashed ten pounds of grain and poured the resulting four gal. of wort in the fermenter. I cooled with a gal. block of distilled ice. Six weeks later I had family members asking for seconds even though the fridge was stocked with craft beer. The beer, an alt, was so much better than my LME efforts. I can hardly wait for my all grain cream ale to finish. That there are much better setups is no doubt, but the point is that all grain can be made cheaply. I used our electric range and a 4 gal. pot and a 3 gal. pot. No trouble boiling when two burners can be utilized. Since the cost of the grain is cheaper than extract and one doesn't have to lift a heavy leaking bag out of a pot, this method of brewing can be easily done in nearly any kitchen. That said, I know that it is not the best method; but it will do me for now.

How much water could you get in the mashtun w/10 lbs of grain in it? I'm gonna do one w/6 lbs and wondering how much water I can get in to mine.

I would have been better able to mash 8#. I used 1 1/4 gt. per pound but that was pushing it. Used about the same to sparge. This last batch was a cream ale kit with 8# of grain. I added 1# DME to compensate for the gal. of distilled ice and ended up with 4 1/2 gal at an OG of 1.052. I bought a plastic trash can and insulated it with foam rubber to create a low dollar fermenting cabinet. A half gal. jug of ice will keep the temp. around my bucket at an even 60* so now I don't have to mess with a swamp cooler. I had the foam so that was another low dollar improvement. I am looking forward to better beer.

1115466316c7b31948e61111279339c0.gif

Back