Practically no headspace - a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I have very little headspace in my carboy, and I expect I'll have to use a blowoff tube. Aside from being messy, is there a problem here? Will it ferment properly?

Thanks!

What size carboy do you have? I use 6gal and even with a gallon of head space I still always start off with a blow off. In fact I just keep the blowoff on their the whole time

I have a 5 gal, I think the guy who I bought it from used it for wine. I usually brew in a brew bucket (7 gal) but I decided to dust off the old 5 gallon carboy so I could watch the bubbles.

I have a 5 gal, I think the guy who I bought it from used it for wine. I usually brew in a brew bucket (7 gal) but I decided to dust off the old 5 gallon carboy so I could watch the bubbles.

If it's a 5-gallon batch, you'll be blowing off for sure. Probably by the time you read this. :) Use a big blow-off bucket to catch it, not just a quart Mason jar.

Back