Need help soon- What size CO2 tank to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODP

Reaction score
I've just made my leap into collecting the parts for my new kegging setup. I've purchased a chest freezer that will hold 4 corny kegs. I have a collar, which will leave plenty of room on the hump for a larger sized CO2 tank...my question is: What size should I get?

There's a local guy that will sell me either a 10# tank (full) for $50 or I can get a #20 tank (full) for $75...

Basically, I'd also like to get a feel on how many kegs I can expect to get from a tank of each size...and what I can expect to spend each time I get them filled.

I'm sure it sounds like a no brainer, but if a #20 tank is overkill, I'd like to use the $25 for other parts...what do you guys/gals think?

Largest you have room for. Look at this way 2 10# tanks would cost you $100 or 1 20# tank costs you $75. Also when refilling tanks, the cost for filling 5,10, or 20# tank is usually about the same (only a few dollars difference).

Its about $18 for 20# and under here. Getting my 5# filled is a hassle. I'm looking for a 20# for my main tank, I'll retire my 5# to beer gas duty

On a side note, how many kegs can I expect to get out of a 20# tank?

Also, What questions should I ask this guy before I tell him I will buy? I believe the stamp still has 5 years on it...and they are steel. Anything else?

Well there are a couple ways to look at it. How much gas do you think you'll go through, and how often do you want to fill it? I just got a kegging setup a couple months ago. It's in a kegerator andso has the 5#. I have heard somwhere in the 4-5 corny range is what I should expect depending on what level I carb at at if i force carb kegs etc. I'm at about 3-1/2 so far and still going. So I'd guess you would expect at least twice that from a 10lb.

The thing that keeps nagging at me is I don't think you see much of a downtic in the main pressure indication until you are running very low. So that gets me to thinking what if I see the gage start to drop at 9PM on a Saturday night, which of course gets me to thinking I need a second co2 canister as a backup.

So I'd say size your main tank according to usage, and if you can live with the 10#, maybe you want to put the extra cash towards a 5# as a backup for when the 10# kicks on a Saturday night.

LOL. Never ask an HBT'er for advice on how to prudently spend money. They'll always tell you to get the bigger one or something else you hadn't thought of.

I think for corney kegs I've read its about 2-3 per pound of co2, but if you force carb you'll use a little more. I also like to purge my racking vessels with co2, so you start to use a little more co2. So, yeah you'll get quite a few kegs out of a 20# tank.

it's true, I had a leak a couple months ago and I ended up with 4 flat kegs and it took me 3 days to get my tank filled and another week to get the beer recarbed. That cost me $50 in store bought right there. I find that my 5# gives me 5-7 cornies carbed and dispensed.

Thanks for the detailed response Zen! I should have mentioned that I do have a 5# as a backup, but I'd like to get a larger tank for main use. I hear you about asking homebrewer's about how to spend money lol- it does make sense to get the larger tank in this case since it's only $25 bucks more...

Man! You guys are quick! 2 posts while I was writing the little blurb above...thanks for the advice guys!

Chester, what did you get in the store? Another 5# tank?

make sure it has a recent inspection sticker (within a couple years I think?) or you may have to pay a small inspection fee.

Sounds good- the guy has agreed to meet me halfway since he's out of town. He also has the name "Geronimo Joe" as his email name, and hasn't included his real name so my BS radar is up...we'll see how it goes.

ODP,

I dont have any rust problems with my steel tanks.

I got 2 tanks as a part of a CL deal, and the guy didnt have a clue if they were full or empty. I have yet to empty a tank yet, and I've had them for almost a year now. I'd say ive served at least 50 kegs with the one tank thus far, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

I got another 20 pounder brand new AL with a different CL deal, and that one is just hanging out right now. My old 5 pounder is the back up bottle, but hasnt seen action in a year now.

nice! I hope this guy comes through...Do you guys think this is a decent deal? $75 for a full #20 steel tank?

nice! I hope this guy comes through...Do you guys think this is a decent deal? $75 for a full #20 steel tank?

Yes! Usually they are $125 new for an aluminum tank. If it's in good shape (and does it come with a regulator, or do you need to buy one?), that's a good deal!

Seems like a decent deal, if you look long enough you can usually pick them up really cheap, (like $20) but they'll be out of date, The one I got I just swapped it and I got one that had a valid hydro test date. A backup tank is a wonderful thing.

get the 20# one . I have two and I just switch the first one out after about 8 months.I would say about 30 kegs of HB at home and it was used at several parties with commercial 1/2 barrels. I hate the steel ones and thats what I bought used.I now have to nice aluminum tanks. All you need to do is ask to get an aluminum one when you exchange and they will.(if they have one)

Back