A little advice here please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardiac_cadet002

Reaction score
I just finished reading "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and I want to try using a general recipe outlined in the book. Here is the recipe then the question follows.

Recipe for 5 gallons
3-4 lbs prehopped LME
2lbs additional DME
Yeast

I want to make a hefeweizen, so I will be using the Coopers "Wheat" kit. I plan on using the yeast packet included with the can and making a starter 3 days ahead. My question is, for the additional 2 lbs of DME, should I use a light malt extract or should I use 2 lbs of dry wheat extract which is 55% wheat/45% malt?

I'd use dry wheat extract, since it has the perfect wheat/pale ratio for a hefeweizen. But you may need to add some more hops if you use unhopped DME for your addition.

I am not familiar with the Coopers wheat kit. What ingredients are included in the kit that are listed on your recipe above?:confused:

Dr Malt

The kit is a blend of malt and wheat, but I'm unsure what hops are used. The kit includes a wheat yeast. I was gonna us e the WLP300 strain, but the guy at the LHBS said the yeast included actually does a really good job. I plan on making a second batch and using the WLP300 and seeing if I can tell a difference.

Thanks for the advice Evan, Thats what I was leaning toward but I didn't know for sure.

A lot of folks recommend trashing the yeast that comes with the can of LME and getting a fresh packet from your LHBS. If you use dried yeast no starter is required but for liquid you will have much better results with a starter.:mug:

I feel pretty comfortable using the pack of dried yeast that comes with the kit. The LHBS I frequent keeps everything Fresh and uses a good rotation program.

cardiac_cadet002 said:
I feel pretty comfortable using the pack of dried yeast that comes with the kit. The LHBS I frequent keeps everything Fresh and uses a good rotation program.

what does the packet say?

I have made that kit using the yeast on the can and it tastes fine. It will not be a Hefeweizen however, but just a plain wheat. You would need different yeast to call it a Hefeweizen or even have it taste like one.

Evan: The packet just says "Coopers" and gives the exp. date, which it is still in date.

Veggiess: should I go with my original plan of using the WLP300 yeast strain?

Back