Yet Another Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
Mr Malty tells me I need a 2 ltr starter from 1 pack of WYeast.

If I make a 2ltr starter and save off 1ltr from the 2ltrs and add another 1ltr of wort to get back to the 2ltrs is this OK? I have never really read about folks keeping a couple pints of yeast prior to the pitching it and then washing the yeast.

Thanks in advance.

Making a 2 liter starter does not mean you need 2 liters of yeast. Just make a 2 liter starter with the appropriate amount of DME. Also, in order to avoid tainting your main beer with the starter beer, let the beer do it's thing for a couple days then put the whole thing in the fridge the night before your brew day. On brew day, take out the starter and immediately pour off the starter beer leaving the yeast on the bottom of your starter vessel. Then recover and let it come to room temp during your brew. Then pitch.

If you wanted to increase the amount of yeast, which is really unnecessary for a 5 gallon batch, you could make the starter as I described, refrigerate, pour off the starter beer, then add another 2 liters or so of fresh cooled wort.

I have a question along these lines...

If I have a viable starter, but want to make it bigger and have room in the present fermenter, can I pour boiled/cooled wort right on top (I assume yes). Also, does this wort need aeration or can I just cool and add?

Latest posts

Back