What's wrong with my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
I brewed an ale, acutally a black ale kit from Mid-west. Fermentation seemed to go as normal. Being a noob I didn't do any SG readings.

Beer is now in my kegerator, I force carbonated it.

Beer tastes more sweet and bland than anything, I'm thinking it didn't ferment all the way.

Is there anyway to bleed off the CO2 and bring it back to room temp, add yeast and let ferment more or is it ruined from here?

I suppose I'll have to start taking SG readings.

Did you use a secondary? If so how long? The problem with force carbing is it only carbonates the beer it does nothing to age the beer. Some brews need that time extra time carbonating in the bottles to age properly and taste the way they should. This can be achieved when force carbonating by simply using a longer secondary, or even letting it sit in the keg for a few weeks before drinking it.

I would simply let it sit for a couple weeks out of the keggorator and try it again. Maybe if you post the recipe me or someone else can better guess if the sweet taste is from unfinished fermentation or too little aging, or if the beer should naturally be sweet.

I'd take a gravity reading now. you can always estimate a target final gravity. if the gravity now is close, then its fermented out, and I'd say you got poor hop utilization, so it tastes sweet.

if the gravity is way too high, something 'stuck' your fermentation...you could indeed warm it up and re-pitch in an attempt to finish it off.

Check the gravity. If it is high, bring the keg to room temperature, re-hydrate and add a packet of dried yeast. Do not agitate. Since there is no oxygen, the yeast won't reproduce and very little trub will result.

Black ales don't normally have the 'burnt bite' that a stout would. You might also try a slightly higher carbonation level. That makes it more acidic as well as altering the mouthfeel.

The gripping hand: 2 oz. of Cascades and you'll have a Cascadian Dark Ale.

The instruction sheet from Midwest should have an estimated SG and FG. If you take a gravity reading now you'll know if you're around the target FG.

The other night the neighbors and I were drinking more of the Black Ale and it seemed to taste better. AS I was getting in bed I was flipping through the Midwest catalog and re-read the Black ale description. It said it should be sweet with little hoppiness. Exactly what we were complaining about. I think this is more of a case where we don't like the recipe even though it tastes as it should.

My neighbors loved it. Go figure, I must be turning slowly into a hop snob.

Back