What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20171202_231816c174c.jpg

Bottled about 20L of "Operation Chariot". Ever so slightly worried cause it had a slightly sour taste to it, almost like sahti. Wouldn't be the first batch though that tastes funky at bottling and still turns out fine. We'll see at Christmas.

Just washed the buckets, siphon etc so I can bottle the next batch of "Scavenger 5" tonight and hopefully shortly after, the "Scavenger 4".

Edit: strange, I can see the picture in the edit window but not in the thread.

Last edited:
Bought a new digital thermometer after breaking my last one.
Also tried a bottle of my latest stout. Carbonation is good but it needs to age a bit. Maybe i will try another in a month or so.

Checked the gravity of my brew that has been going for just under week. 1023. Also ordered myself various odds and ends for hardware and a mash recirc manifold.

Took a day off work so I could brew all day. Bliss.

Now THAT is a great idea! I may just do that next time. Take one day of leave, still wake up silly-early, brew while my wife is at work and I can be done (to include cleaning up) before she comes home.

Now THAT is a great idea! I may just do that next time. Take one day of leave, still wake up silly-early, brew while my wife is at work and I can be done (to include cleaning up) before she comes home.

I got so much done yesterday. It was great. No rushing around to squeeze in a brew day after work or between weekend obligations, etc.

Drying used grain, while Sunday’s 10 gallon batch is fermenting. Last night I washed yeast from the previous batch, freshly kegged. Also shared granola bars I made from spent grain and gave a 1 gallon ziplock of frozen spent grain to a neighbor so she can make dog treats.

Drying used grain, while Sunday’s 10 gallon batch is fermenting. Last night I washed yeast from the previous batch, freshly kegged. Also shared granola bars I made from spent grain and gave a 1 gallon ziplock of frozen spent grain to a neighbor so she can make dog treats.

What is this drying used grains activity? How and why?

you can make everything from breads, dog treats to granola bars with the spent grains from your brew day.... my dawgs love the treats. If lazy, its a good fertilizer or at least additive to the gardens.

What is this drying used grains activity? How and why?

Dry used grains for longer storage. Oven on low (200 or less), spread on a cookie sheet. Stir about every half hour until dry.
I dry grain to turn into flour or to use for granola, or for longer term storage.
Wet grain can be frozen.

Doing what I think might be my first mid-week brew tonight. Will be working this weekend so taking advantage of an early day from work and husband out for the night to add to the pipeline. Pliny clone mashing now!

Stepped up a starter of Wyeast 1728: Scottish Ale. Hoping to brew this weekend.

Installed and flushed my RO system. Prepped for brewing tomorrow... 29 degrees so warm enough the hose won't freeze right away! Have to brew Sunday too while it is warm... headed into a 2 week cold spell so won't be brewing during it!

Brewed a Scottish. Had an off day but not bad. Woke up late. Couple degrees low on mash temp. Then found I'm apparently out of extra airlocks. Pulled one from a fermentation that is done. Now thinking about my next brew.

Kegged an Irish Red. Kegged a Saison. Saved the Saison yeast (Dupont) and did the first round of washing. Now it's in the separatory flask chilling.

Kegged 10g of Undead Guy, cleaned the conical. Installed a CO2 bulkhead in the keezer to allow my 20#er to sit outside. Made an ingredients shopping list for a Black IPA ive been wanting to try. Only have one empty space of 8 available in the keezer... got 10 gals of a stout to keg next weekend. Thought i should wait a weeknd to brew again...lol. good problem to have! Cheers!

Poured myself yet another test bottle of Operation Chariot only to verify that yes indeed they all have a fairly strong acidic sourness to them, so assuming lactobacillus infection. FECK! Two cases of beer down the drain. Oh well more bottles to fill...

I kegged my Vojvodina Ale. It uses homegrown Vojvodina hops. The hydrometer sample was pretty amazing. I'm excited to get it carbed for the weekend. Makes me curious about some other hops for the coming year.

Took a gravity sample. Been at 1.020 with wyeast 1272 for a week. In a pickle i dont hany other yeast to pitch to try and finish it off. So shook and raised temp. Hoping for the best but i may have gone too high during my mash.

Bought a Barley Crusher. My old unadjustable mill (.045) isn't fine enough crush for the Gluten Free Lambic I'm brewing when I get home.

Also, Barley Crushers are on sale on the Barley Crusher website. Mine was $118 with shipping which was cheaper than any place I saw them online.

Visited my LHBS to pick up ingredients for a New Belgium Accumulation White IPA clone to be brewed next Monday.

Back