Maui Brewing Company Coconut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this beer? I had it when I was in Hawaii and would be interested in a recipe or maybe if someone in Hawaii wants to trade for some michigan micro i'd be open to that too.

I had a buddy who lives in HI bring me home a 4-pack over Christmas, I'm enjoying one right now. Great Beer! Wish I could help you find some, but I had to have a friend bring it to me.

Yeah things from Hawaii often find their way to L.A. Rarely however do they come this far east.

I tried some last summer at the beer fest but I haven't found it in a store yet. I keep my eyes open for it though! I did a Google search and there are a number of "almost likes" on the tastybrew.com website.

Never had it while I was stationed there (honestly never saw it). It's not around here. I'd like to try it.

My first home brew was made with a friend; we did a recipe of his inspired by this beer. We first made this Cannonball Porter. We then roasted two bags of natural flaked coconut until toasty dark (not quite burned), added the coconut to a couple of hop bags, and then steeped the coconut in the fermented beer for 24 hours prior to kegging (or in my case bottling). It's great!

This is funny. When I found out I am moving to Hawaii in a few months the first thing I did was look up the local beer and mountain biking. When I saw Pipeline Porter from Kona was a seasonal I had a friend pick up a six pack for me.

I'll have to check out this coconut porter as well.

I've never had that one, I didn't know anyone was making one commercially! This coconut porter is certainly one of my favorites. It comes from Fujiura, homebrewer of the year for 1998 by Zymurgy magazine.

Toasted Coconut Porter
Volume = 2.6 gallons
OG = 1.058; FG = 1.021
Boiling time = 60 min
Primary = 20 days at 65F
Secondary = 14 days at 65F

4.4 lb pale malt
0.8 lb chocolate malt
0.3 lb crystal malt (80L)

0.64 oz Northern Brewer whole hops (8.0% alpha) for 60 min
0.32 oz East Kent Golding whole hops (5.4%) for 10 min

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
7.2 oz shredded coconut, toasted (in secondary)
2.18 oz dry malt extract (for priming)

Mash grains at 153F for 90 min. Add toasted coconut to secondary.
coconut.sized.jpg

I adjusted it for a full batch of course.

We get it in California. I am not sure of the depth of distribution, but I have a can every couple of months here. I really enjoy this beer.

I was just in Maui this past October, This is all I would drink. Its very tasty. Not over done. The only place its distributed is In Southern California. Its verrrrrryyyyy good out of the Can! Grabbed a few on our flight home. My understanding is that the brewery opened in 2005. We visited the brewpub north of Lahaina. I have been wanting to brew a clone but there isnt much info except toast coconut in your oven and rack a porter onto it. Generally most beers like this I have found to be over done and dislike them. But I want to take a shot at a clone sometime when money is more available. The other beers they make are quite good as well. Check out the show Three sheets in Hawaii, they feature Maui Brewing in the show. Look it up on Hulu.com

They are super friendly at the brewery. I called them up and asked if I could come by and they welcomed me in. We stayed like 2 miles away so it was great. They roast their own and that is key I would say. I think the recipes that have been posted will get you in the ball park. I wouldn't be surprised if they would give you tips on brewing with coconut if you contact them.

Here is the page for the Basic Brewing podcast interviewing the brewmaster at Maui Brewing. Look for:
November 15, 2007 - Maui Brewing Company
Garrett Marrero of Maui Brewing Company tells us about brewing in paradise and lets us in on how a couple of his wonderful beers are brewed.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2007

I've also got four of these in the fridge now awaiting a tasting with my buddy. We both want to brew a version.

We get it in California. I am not sure of the depth of distribution, but I have a can every couple of months here. I really enjoy this beer.

carnevoodoo, what store do you get it at? I have looked at a couple of the local craft beer stores around me but only find some on the shelves occasionally (maybe you buy them all up?)

Is anyone who has access to this coconut porter interested in trading? I'm in Connecticut...not sure if there is something from this region that you can't get where you are...
thanks

I've never had that one, I didn't know anyone was making one commercially! This coconut porter is certainly one of my favorites. It comes from Fujiura, homebrewer of the year for 1998 by Zymurgy magazine.

coconut.sized.jpg

I adjusted it for a full batch of course.

How did this come out?

Back