Tartness from WLP833?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtejedor

Reaction score
Anyone ever get a little tartness from this strain? I brewed Jamil's munich helles from his book and it has just a slight edge of tartness. I used 8 ounces of acid malt for 10 gallons which worked out to be 3% of the grist but I have heard of people using more then that and it not affecting the flavor. Its been in the keezer for about 3 weeks now at 44 degrees but I have been sipping on it because of lack of beer. I pitched at 45, fermented at 50 for 2 weeks and then kegged it. The only thing I could think of was I had to wait a day and a half to pitch the yeast because the ground water here did not get it too cold and it had to spend a while in the chest freezer to get down to pitching temp. So is this the yeast or did something get in there and sour it a bit? Attenuation was spot on and its not an awful or overbearing tartness.

Maybe acetaldehyde from stressed yeast? How big was your starter?

Latest posts

Back