Blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskooter

Reaction score
Have my first batch of porter still in my Carboy from 2 weeks ago. I have been using a blowoff tube into a container of star san. The activity has slowed down quite a bit now. Can I leave the blowoff hooked up or do I need to switch to an airlock?

Yes, you can leave your blow off tube hooked up until you are ready to bottle. I personally switch to an airlock (even though there is a small risk of infection in the process) for aesthetic reasons. I don't like looking a big gunky tube coming out of my fermentor.

I typically leave my blow off hose on the entire time, I'm lazy. I might switch to an airlock if fermentation left the blow off hose very messy, and I want to start cleaning it.

I only switch from a blow off if I'm putting my beet in a secondary vessel, which I rarely do.

That's probably a good plan. Beet beer sounds kinda nasty.

Sorry for the typo but they do make it and it was not pleasing to my palette.

Wacko Beet Beer.jpg

Thanks for the input. Since It sounds like there is no real advantage to putting on the airlock at this point. I guess I'm going to leave the blowoff tube hooked up. Happy brewing!

Back